C25K and Starting Weight

Options
I'm really wanting to start the Couch to 5K program. I've been doing 30-40 mins on my elliptical 3-5 days a week for the past month or so. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as TOO heavy for starting this program? I weigh 243 lbs and I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis but I'm determined not to let it stop me from doing this at some point. I have a dumb doctor who doesn't think that diet or exercise help reduce inflammation etc so I don't plan to ask my physician before beginning lol. Just want to know if anyone else has started this program at a high weight??

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at somewhere between 290-300 (I was at 306 when I started, and I had been working for about a month). I'm on week 6 and I'm at 278.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You're off to a good start with the work you do on the elliptical. Give C25K a try, remember to pace yourself and you'll do great.
    There's a lot of support here.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Julie, can I just tell you that you are totally awesome!

Kitty, let us know how it's going for you. I'm not familiar with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but the general advice is to go slow, take sufficient rest days and listen to your body, anyway.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I decided I wanted to start the program at 278 pounds. It took me a three weeks to get to the point where I could complete Week 1, but if you listen to your body it will be fine! The first day I started, I just jogged for as long as I could and then walked for as long as I needed to. It ended up being about 45 seconds of jogging and 4 minutes of walking each time. I tried to improve a little bit every day until I got to the 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for day 1.

I'm down 14 pounds and am doing W5D2 today.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    BlueObsidian - what a great victory. So inspiring!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just started C25k earlier this week, day 3 today, but for a few weeks prior to that I used an app called runtastic timer to set up intervals for walking/running. I started with 2 mins/30sec and increased how many intervals I did, from 5 up to 10 and then upped the running time to 45 seconds & did 2min/45sec for a little while, gradulally upping the number of intervals. Once I got through 10 intervals I decided to try C25K. I really helped me to start off like that. I know if I had started C25K and couldn't get through a minute or running I would have been discouraged & gave up. This way I made it no problem.

I'm starting at 234lbs. and want to get down to 160lbs.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job starting, Krista!
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was 199 (probably more, I didn't get any scales until I was two weeks in) when I started and am 172 now... just going into Week 9 and doing 30 minute runs. I could barely manage 45 seconds let alone a minute of running when I started. It's a brilliant program and I can't believe that I'm actually enjoying running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job on your weightloss and finishing the program!
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was 185 when I started C25k. I finished the program in Nov. and have dropped almost 50 lbs. since then. As others on here have mentioned take it slow and rest days are important. Listen to your body, take a break if something doesn't feel right, don't push it to injury.