Eating too much fat?

Options
AbbyPDX
AbbyPDX Posts: 64 Member
Hey ladies,
I'm curious as to if you monitor your fat as well as caloric intake. I can generally keep under my calories for the day (around 1500-1700 depending on workout) but my fat generally goes well over. I'm not eating burgers... it's mostly from things like nuts, seeds, avacodo, eggs, salmon, etc. Of course there's SOMETIMES a burger thrown in there as well as oils for cooking, but day to day it's the sort of thing that puts me over. Anyone out there a 'fairly' clean eater who's noticed a difference in weight loss in terms of fat intake? Thanks!

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are getting most of your fat from healthy sources, fats are essential for the body. Unfortunately, there is such a thing as too much fat. I try to reach or keep under my fat goal for the day, but if I go over once in a while I don't sweat it 'cause I'm still losing. If you are only going over by a few grams I wouldn't worry too much.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do put on weight if my fat goes over, I guess it's takes more to burn fat, try to keep within limits, too much of anything is just not good anyway.....
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Your fat looks fine since you tend to do low to moderate carbs. You might want to try and meet your protein quota tho :-)
  • AbbyPDX
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I was cranking out the protein for a few weeks there but for whatever reason it's been lower this week (I think because I haven't been eating as much meat in general). Sounds like I should work on keeping that down or at the very least paying attention to it. I stepped on the scale this morning and it was down a few lbs (haven't seen that weight in a while!) so maybe it's not as bad as I thought and I need to just be PATIENT. Still will keep an eye on the fat :-) And yes, my carbs tend to be pretty low - I've taken out almost all wheat products and most dairy which makes me WWWAAYYYY less bloated.
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I love fats! hahaha But I do intake quite a bit of protein with them. I'm a low carb person so fats and proteins help me maintain my weight better than a low fat, high carb diet. Of course, I know this isn't for everyone. :)
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too, since I am usually at the 25-35% range, but I also am lower carb so I figure the calories have to come from somewhere. Loves me some olive oil, nuts, cheese and egg yolks. I find when I am eating "low-fat" I am hungrier and less satisfied.
  • AbbyPDX
    Options
    Agreed, that makes me feel better. For example today I had a bit of coconut milk in my smoothie (fat), chia seeds (fat), chicken (with skin) at lunch (fat), and am about to eat salmon with veggies (and olive oil) (fat). So I'm heading up to almost 100 grams of fat for the day! That said, I'm well under my TDEE also. I got some numbers from Dan (IPOARM) and he wants me creeping up to my TDEE for a while then slowly lowering it. That said, I've been having a hard time getting my calories up without also getting my fat up (snacks like nuts and such are just adding the fat). Today I made some homemade pancakes with ww flour, coconut flour and almond flour (and a few other things) but it was a nice filling snack with decent cals but low fat. I need more snacks like that.
    In any case, I'm also lower carbs and like you said, the calories need to come from somewhere so for now I'm not going to worry about it too much. The fat is filling and doesn't make me feel sluggish. We shall see! I haven't lost any weight yet but am hoping this gets my body set and ready to....
  • Tonyswoman
    Tonyswoman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They definetely look like healthy fats! :) And especially being eaten earlier in the day they'll burn better.