My First 5K- what to wear?

Options
I've been practicing my walking, trying to at least walk quickly.. but this is my first 5K in probably 10 years (I was always a walker though). This 5K will be quick walking, as myself and my group members who joined with me haven't had the preparation time to get up to running, and one of our members has shin splints.
Anyway, my question here is simple.. what is best to wear to this? We are all going to wear all white, as this is the Color Run, and we want to try to get hit with as many of the colored powders provided. But other than color, I'm not sure what to buy. The walk is in 2 weeks, on 6April here in Atlanta, GA. The temps have been ranging lately from 40 to 70 degrees but I am hoping that we'll be more in the 60-70 range by then. Is just a loose white tshirt and pair of white drawstring (or cinch type top) shorts fine for this? I'm going to buy some new shoes the week before the walk/run as well and I'm not really sure which to get.. a true running shoe, or more of a cross trainer. I am doing my C25K on a treadmill currently in the basement but once spring is really here I'd like to move my running outside. There are sidewalks in my neighborhood, and lots of sloping hills.

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wear your new shoes a few times before the race. Mine took me about a week to break in. Also, you might not want to wear the new ones for color run. I'm not sure how much of the color will come out of shoes?!?!?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd get a running shoe unless you get shinsplints, that way you can wear them when you run. A tee shirt and cotton shorts should be fine. I'm with you in hoping that Atlanta warms up fast. I'm done with this cold weather.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but if I wear my running shoes to a Color Run, are they going to be forever stained with color? I often wear them at work too....
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @Julie: Honestly, I don't care if the color doesn't come out. I look at it as my badge of honor ;). I am buying new shoes for the walk/run, simply because I don't have *any* shoes I can wear for it. One of my sneakers is work sneakers (aluminum toe cap, meant for standing or light walking, but not in a 5K) and the other pair is an old worn out pair of walkers that the outer sole is flattened down to nothing. LOL

Thanks for the help though. I am getting so excited for this 5K. I just got word this morning that I have been accepted into the Peachtree 10K Road Race in July, so that made my day. That's the "superbowl of run/walk races" around here so it's a big deal :)
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but if I wear my running shoes to a Color Run, are they going to be forever stained with color? I often wear them at work too....

From the Color Run website: "The “color” does mostly wash out after the event. As with anything dirty, the sooner you wash it the better. We suggest wearing items that you wouldn’t mind getting colorful. If you would like to preserve the color in your running shirt, spray it with vinegar and iron it. If you wash your shirt….the color will eventually come out."

Here's a link for their Cleaning Tips: http://thecolorrun.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/cleaning-trips.pdf

You can throw your shoes in the washer with a couple of towels, and use some OxiClean or Spray and Wash or similar product.