Do I have this all wrong?

I started Keto almost a week ago... I appear to have lost almost 3kg and I understand this is "water weight" etc. etc. I was finding it incredibly difficult to use MFP because the foods aren't entered in correctly and it takes a lot of time to manually enter all the foods I eat into it. It makes it even more difficult because I live in Israel and half of the foods are a) not there b) I need to translate the nutrition tables... I've learned a few new words this week to say the least!

So, here are my problems:

1) Focusing on eating HFLC I started eating too many calories. I am now being really strict about what I put in MFP - EVERYTHING and seeing where the problems are lying. I'm going to just cut down on portions basically. (1 egg instead of 2 or 3 lol) This is easy to fix on my own I believe... let's see.

2) I have input the last two days of my diet in and I am SHOCKED at how much protein I am eating. How on earth do I get this down below fat and how important is it for KETO?

3) I don't have keto-stix yet. Pharmacy had to order some, but I my pee-pee does smell and I have an almost gross metal taste in my mouth all day. I guess this means I'm in ketosis despite the higher protein levels?

Thoughts, advice, criticism, motivation all welcome and needed desperately!
-Jane

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    So, here are my problems:

1) Focusing on eating HFLC I started eating too many calories. I am now being really strict about what I put in MFP - EVERYTHING and seeing where the problems are lying. I'm going to just cut down on portions basically. (1 egg instead of 2 or 3 lol) This is easy to fix on my own I believe... let's see.

2) I have input the last two days of my diet in and I am SHOCKED at how much protein I am eating. How on earth do I get this down below fat and how important is it for KETO?

Truthfully, I think one and two are related. When you increase your fat, you'll find you are satiated, and have less of an appetite. Lots of folks struggle to get their minimum calories at this stage.

Some of my strategies. Never have a meal just with protein. Everything needs to be balanced with fat - for me at least an equal number of grams of fat as grams of protein, but I actually target a two to one ratio.

Eating Chicken? Make it dark meat, not breast. Steak? make sure it's a richer cut, and add some butter to it. Cooking scrambled eggs? Cook them in butter, and add heavy cream. Having coffee? Don't just add a splash of milk, add a 1/4 cup of cream.

I have a number of recipes that are VERY high fat, and I have at least one of these per day. This helps me compensate for when another meal may not be as well balanced. For example, I drink bulletproof coffee for breakfast. That's around 300 calories, and 97% fat. That helps a lot if another meal in the day is heavier on protein.

Here's an article that may help too:
    http://www.carbsmart.com/10-healthy-high-fat-foods-perfect-for-nutritional-ketosis.html
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Honestly, I don't think you should be worried about protein too much. And, if your goals are set up for keto on MFP, the goal for grams of protein will generally be more than your goal for grams of fat. Example, my diary is set at 1600 calories, with 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs (traditional keto), and my goals calculate out to 107g fat, 140g protein, 20g carbs.