Same day cardio & Strength or alternate

Options
Here`s some info about me from my last couple posts http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932453-eating-back-exercise-calories

I really love this group and I hope I`m not asking too many questions!

Should I do strength training one day and cardio the next? Or should I do them on the same day? Or does it matter either way?

Thank you!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is context dependent, but assuming you just generally want to get in shape I would let preference decide this. Consider that doing them on the same day means that whatever one you do second, you may not perform it optimally due to being tired from the first.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This is context dependent, but assuming you just generally want to get in shape I would let preference decide this. Consider that doing them on the same day means that whatever one you do second, you may not perform it optimally due to being tired from the first.
    If you're going to do both, is there some sort of benefit on each side over doing one before the other?

OP: Personally I do cardio and then strength. My reasoning is I am not running marathons and I need to warm up somehow. I just prefer doing light cardio first compared to a couple lighter set of weights since it personally makes me feel better (my bones click, they click less if I move everything around for a while first). If your goals are to be really excellent at both I wouldn't do both the same day, one of them well suffer for sure.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If one were to do both in the same day I would choose the order based on goals. The one you do first will likely be performed better.

I would always balance out goals with lifestyle/preference in this regard. If you're trying to push the extremes of fitness or you have specific performance metrics that extend beyond "I want to get in shape and look good" then you certainly may be better off doing them separately, but that context can't be ignored. For many people, doing them together is more convenient, might improve adherence, etc.

These are things that need to be weighed out, IMO.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    Well I need to lose about 20 lbs and I would like to have an athletic build.

I usually work out 6 times a week. And each day I usually work out once in the morning for about 30 minutes and then again after lunch or at night for another 30 minutes. (And some days I only get 1 - 30 min session in) So either way I would not be doing strength and cardio back to back. I guess I just want to know if there is any benefit to alternating or any benefit to doing both in the same day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do both, is there some sort of benefit on each side over doing one before the other?

OP: Personally I do cardio and then strength. My reasoning is I am not running marathons and I need to warm up somehow. I just prefer doing light cardio first compared to a couple lighter set of weights since it personally makes me feel better (my bones click, they click less if I move everything around for a while first). If your goals are to be really excellent at both I wouldn't do both the same day, one of them well suffer for sure.

As SideSteel mentioned, the one that you do second may 'suffer' as you are tired after doing the first. Not that I actually do cardio, but if I did, if I did them in the same session as lifting, it would come second as my lifting sessions are a priority for me and I do not want to be tired, especially when I have a sh!it ton of weight over my chest or on my back.

You need to warm up before strength training, but I do not consider a short warm up on the elliptical cardio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well I need to lose about 20 lbs and I would like to have an athletic build.

I usually work out 6 times a week. And each day I usually work out once in the morning for about 30 minutes and then again after lunch or at night for another 30 minutes. (And some days I only get 1 - 30 min session in) So either way I would not be doing strength and cardio back to back. I guess I just want to know if there is any benefit to alternating or any benefit to doing both in the same day.

How many days are you doing strength training?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Purely anecdotal, but I jogged (up hill) to the gym one day last week, and proceeded to have one of the worst lifting sessions I've had. Had to reduce weight on pretty much everything I did.

I'll not be doing that again.

Usually I do cardio and lifting on separate days, and warm up with a brisk walk on the treadmill, or five minutes on the elliptical.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I usually do 3 days of strength.

I do 5 minutes on my rower (the good fan belt one) to warm up. Is that ok? My hubby said when he was using a training he did 500m on the rower to warm up. I do more than that.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I usually do 3 days of strength.

I do 5 minutes on my rower (the good fan belt one) to warm up. Is that ok? My hubby said when he was using a training he did 500m on the rower to warm up. I do more than that.

As long as your warmup isn't significantly effecting your ability to lift then I don't see a reason why you can't continue doing it.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I personally do cardio first, but I think it depends on how much cardio.

When I was going hard doing 60 mins of Cardio, I had nothing left energy wise to lift. Id last thru two reps of something and give up. Now im doing 30 mins cardio and 40mins weights and it seems to be working nicely. Ive got a good sweat going and its easier to keep my heart rate up dueing the lifting session.