Feeling lost and confused

Options
lostalykat
lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
I know this topic is mentioned over and over but I guess I just need it beat in my head again.I am going to start Stage one either today or tomorrow. I am struggling with completely following the program and not letting myself do intense cardio since I really want to lose the 10 lbs I gained the last few months. I am already committing to eating Primal 6 days a week and giving myself 1 meal where I can cheat. I am also going to stay in my calorie target but I am thinking I should maybe update my cals to scooby since I keep hearing it is good. Ugg so confused help!

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Are you familiar with HIIT cardio? That's what you'll be doing in the later stages of NROL4W, I did it throughout the whole program, even stage 1. I would do 15-20 minutes of intervals on my elliptical, most days of the week, even after lifting. I know it's not what the book says, but that's what I did bc I was also trying to lose a few more pounds. I would say "intense" hour plus cardio sessions are not necessary or needed. Just my opinion here.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am almost through with Stage 2. The lifting can be so intense you really don't have the energy for cardio. I still did a separate HIIT session on one non lifting day. I also did 15 minutes of warm up on a cardio machine, but nothing strenuous. Remember you need to give your muscles a break to recover. Doing cardio doesn't let that happen.

I am slowly feeling more comfortable with what everyone is saying about lifting and cardio. It's just a mind set we get into. Think of this as a lifetime process. You can do cardio like crazy when you are done with NROLFW. Just enjoy the lifting. It's really wonderful all on its own,
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I feel better about getting in the gym to lift! I used to do crossfit and I really miss it but we can't afford it right now. I am hoping to go back eventually but this is a good place to be for now.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    I kept ALL of my cardio when I started NROL4W....and just added in 3 x lifting. Plus, I went by the calories in NROL4W.

I GAINED WEIGHT (WHICH MEANS "FAT") ON THE NROL4W program.

So, in September, I was doing NROL4Abs, I cut out ALL cardio (except 1 day's worth), I limited my caloric intake (much more severely then Schuler would suggest) and the fat loss started. I look MUCH better, now, than I did 1 year ago.

So, be wary - for some people, cardio ends up being counter-productive (i.e. if cardio makes you hungry, and you eat more calories, it isn't going to assist you with "fat loss"). I wanted a SHAPE.....and now I have a SHAPE, because I lift heavy and I eat less. Period.