a few questions

Options
OliveBruises
OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
I am starting my first workout tonight (so excited!) Per the book, my calorie calculations are as follows: 1666 on non-workout days & 1928 on workout days.

1. Should I update my calorie calculations throughout the program? If so, would I be doing this each time my weight changes or at the end of each stage? I assume my weight will continue to fluctuate so it doesn't really make sense to update the calculations that often... but I wanted to see if people updated them at all throughout the program.

2. I plan to continue tracking my food with MFP so in that case what is the easiest way to do so since I'll be eating more calories on workout days? Only thing I can think of is just adding a generic cardio excercise on my workout days for the 262 calorie difference. Is there a better way?

3. Did most people follow the general warm-up/semi-specific warm-up/specific warm-ups he lists in the book? Just curious..

4. I think I already found the answer to this one on here but I want to make sure... On workouts such as step ups, lunges, etc. the reps & sets given are the amount you do PER LEG. Correct?

I sure hope these questions haven't been answered a thousand times. I did try searching the forum a bit but couldn't seem to find answers to these questions. Thanks!

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    1. I played with my calories throughout the program, I'm finishing stage 6 now. But mine was more in relation to in the beginning I was doing the calculations minus 300, like the book says, but shortly into it I needed to eat more and increased my calories up to just about what he recommended, no cut. My weight has fluctuated to where I haven't felt I needed to recalculate because of weight loss or gain.

2. That's exactly what I do, I think under cardio, there is a strength training category and I just make the cals be 300 and add that on lifting days.

3. I do my favorite warm ups from all sources that I've come across in my exercise experience. I usually do some squats, lunges, rotation things, jack knifes, high knees for maybe 5 minutes before starting. I probably should do more from what I've read, but I don't.

4. Yes, it's per leg

Good luck, it's a great program!
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    Thank you. So you are still seeing progress even without the -300 calories for fat loss?
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Yes, definitely seeing progress! I also do a little more HIIT cardio than suggested, but nothing crazy. The book had me at 1926 for non lifting and 2176 for lifting days, so I have been eating at 1900 and 2200 for several months, that's what's working best for me right now, to where I'm not hungry or weak or deprived, but not so many that I fill the calories with extra junk (my tendency). I started at 1700 and 1900 cals originally. I'm 5'7, roughly 135-140 lbs.
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    Gotcha. I still have a decent amount of fat to lose so I think I should probably stick to the -300 for now. Which that amount (1666 cals) is still more than I was previously eating (1420 cals before starting NROL4W).
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I agree that sounds like a good place to start, but be open minded to the fact that you might feel like you need to up it later. Doesn't even have to be by the full 300, ease into it, 100 at a time, good luck!
  • OliveBruises
    Options
    Yes, I will definitely listen to what my body needs. Thanks!

I actually do have one more question though (sorry, hope I'm not being a pest!) - if I do cardio on my NON-workout days, how do I eat back those calories? Would I use the pre-calculated "Workout Caloreis" (1928) that the book gives me for normal lifting days... or would I eat my regular non-workout calories (1666) + the amount of cardio calories that I burn per my HRM?
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I eat the amount of calories given for a non lifting day on days when I don't lift, even if I do cardio. So I eat 2200 lifting days and 1900 on all other days, regardless of whether it's a rest day or just cardio day.