How much weight for each type of lift?

Options
lobo_a_gogo
lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
Hi, I ordered the book, but it hasn't arrived yet. I know I'm going to want to start as SOON as it gets here, I don't know if it includes good starter weights to try, but I don't want to look like an A-hole at the gym trying something, finding out its too heavy or too light a billion times.

Info about me for suggestions:
5'8"
205 (down from 240)
I've been doing a combination of cardio and weight training, but machines only, not free weights, mostly upper body, but all my cardio is lower body (elliptical, stair climber, and bike).
I can do about 10 decent pushups consecutively, but I'm no pushup machine.

Also, I'm a vegetarian, so any advice for meal susbtitutions? I already get protein at every meal, but I'm worried that most of my proteins involve a fair amount of carbs (beans, etc) or fat (nuts). I'm not vegan, so I have a whey protein shake that I can drink, but I currently use it as a meal replacement, not a supplement.

While I still want to lose weight, I'm more concerned about losing fat, I've been doing this for a year, but I've only lost about 5 lbs, and a little bit of size in the last few months. I'm hoping this will help me get past my plateau, and its something I can commit to do on a daily basis (I'm more of a strength training person than a cardio person unless its something fun like swimming, riding bikes, etc)

Any more advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My only advice if you haven't been doing free weights is that you are going to have to get over it and accept the fact that you might look like "that" person at the gym. Heck, before I started this program I was using free weights and I still did a lot of trial and error at the beginning, especially with squats and dead lifts. My recommendation is to be on the conservative side. It's a lot better to pick out a light weight... try the exercise and realize you can increase by five or so pounds then to pick up something that is too heavy and risk injuring yourself.

I'm not a vegetarian so I'm not much help there. I'd stick with the protein powders as a post workout drink and maybe add in a protein bar beforehand? Just be careful with the amount of sugar protein supplements can have... because some sure have a lot!
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your weight loss so far and your commitment to lifting!

My advice is to not rush into it too soon. I have 4 kids so it took me a bit longer to get through the book than most people, but I would take the time to read it. The nutritional section is really important too. Take some time to figure your your calories (I compared the book to Scooby, but the book has me lower on a weekly basis, so I'm doing the book calories, adding a healthy snack if I'm hungry, and will eat back some cardio calories, though I'm not doing much cardio currently).

Fish is a great source of protein. Not sure if you eat fish or not. To meet my protein requirements I do use whey protein to supplement.

Do you have access to any DB's at home? This is what I did, and it's not for everyone. I took two weeks to practice and learn proper form for squats and deadlifts. I watched StrongLifts and Mark RIpptoe videos. I also bought Starting Strength, which is awesome for learning form. Within those two weeks, I ran through workouts A and B twice with just DB's, doing A and B each once per week. I continued on with cardio and 30DS. In the meantime, I also went to the gym to figure out where all the equipment was that I needed. Doing the practice sessions at home allowed me to focus on form, have an idea of starting weight, and how things were going to flow at the gym. I always erred on the side of starting too light and added extra sets if I needed to.

Here's a good article on losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

It's pretty in line with what the the author of NROL4W recommends.

The book totally neglects stretching, so make sure you have an idea of what your stretching routine will be.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options
    Thanks! I don't eat fish, so I'll try and stick to protein supplements
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey girl - so here's my advice:

1. If you have a smart phone, download the app called "MyFit". It has a nice database of exercises with animations & instructions. Plus you can search them by name, muscle, equipment, etc. The animations made the workout instructions clearer for me (on some) than the book did.

2. The book gives you some sort of guidelines on amount of weights to use, so I'd make sure you read it front to back before you begin, it's a quick read. On any barbell exercises, I'd warm up with just the bar itself, then figure out how much you think you should add on for the workout itself from there. With any dumbbells, just see how you feel after one set. If you think you can do more, do your second set with a little more weight. If you end up not being able to finish the reps because the added weights were too heavy, it's okay - don't force yourself (and I bet you'll get both full sets with that weight on your next workout day!) However, if you end your sets feeling like you could do another set, you probably should have added more weight and should keep that in mind for next time.

3. The book also gives some info on getting more protein but he definitely says it's harder for vegetarians & vegans. Since you are a vegetarian, at least you can eat eggs & cheese for protein. And low fat cottage cheese! And greek yogurt! :) There is also a protein powder called Brown Rice Protein that I use sometimes (along with the other protein supplements I use). Pretty sure it's actually vegan. But I like it because it isn't "flavored" like most others. I've heard lots & lots of good things about Sun Warrior proteins as well... which again are vegan. And regarding beans, they may be high in carbs... but they are also high in fiber and soluble fibers slow down the absorption of glucose, thus reducing glucose/insuline spikes. Which the main reason you want to watch your carbs is to control your glucose & insuline. Also keep in mind that the best time to eat high GI carbs is after a workout.
    Oh also, do you eat seeds? They tend to be a good source of protein. Especially chia seeds.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options
    I haven't gotten into chia seeds recently because I hear they fill you up really quickly, and right now I'm having trouble eating more than 900 calories/day, everyone's been telling me I need to eat more to get past my plateau.
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The book provides a diet guide as well (including how many calories to eat). 900 calories a day is definitely too little. Even 1200 a day is not enough in my opinion. You'll lose "weight" at that point - but you'll likely be losing it in the form of muscle. I think lifting will make you more hungry - you'll need those calories to give your body energy to complete the workouts. But I'm surprised any cardio/lifting that you are doing now isn't making you hungry already. Not that I'm doubting you by any means.
    I can go a few days without working out, then eat minimal calories on my first workout day back and be ok. But the day after that workout I'll be STARVING! I guess it may take a bit for your body to adjust but I think it will only take a few strenuous workouts. And maybe a gradual calorie increase? I started back on here in beginning of Jan with 1320 calories (always eating back my workout calories). Then I bumped it up to I think about 1420. And now that I started this program I'm at about 1660 on non-workout days & about 1920 on lifting days. On non-workout days where I still do cardio, I haven't decided for sure but I'm either going to use the 1920 amount as well, OR the 1660 + eat back my calories burned.
    I have a spreadsheet I use that has the calories figured out for you per the book. All you have to do is enter your weight, age and height. Message me if you want the link where I got it. I found it on one of the posts in this group actually...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Heck, I'm finished with the whole program and I still look like "THAT" person sometimes. Every time you do a new exercise, you have to figure out the weights. I can guess well now, but some things are way harder than they look so I have to trade my dumbbells for a lighter pair, and some things are easier, so I have to add reps or increase weight. It's not a big deal at all.

Sometimes you'll be stuck in between weights, when the lighter set is too easy, and the next heavier set is too hard. When that happens, you can do more reps with the lighter, or move up to the heavier and do fewer reps. As long as you're lifting to near-failure every set, it's all good. :-)