Dieting with severe GERD

Options
info_nrs
info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
OK, question for all. Diagnosed with severe GERD (no, not a surprise, just in denial). Besides the obvious problems, it's affecting my lungs (asthma) and teeth (acid erosion). It is good that I have to eat small meals frequently to prevent issues (that's always a plus while trying to get eating under control and not binging), and eating late at night is obviously a no-no, but the list of foods to stay away from is RIDICULOUS. Coffee (one place says decafe is ok, other says stay away from all coffee), one says tea is bad (but isn't that suppose to be good for you?), chocolate---give up chocolate????!!!, milk, fruit juices, spices and fatty/fried food. OK, call me crazy, but itsn't the only way to NOT eat fatty/fried food is to cook with SPICES??? I just don't know what to do?
Advice?:ohwell:

Replies

• mirandacox
    mirandacox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ended up having the nissen fundoplication surgery my GERD was so bad. I also had a large hiatal hernia. I was allergic to acid reflux meds.....went 5 months straight with a migraine until we figured out what was causing it. I even tried different brands and different types. Acid reflux is hard, but for a lot of people it's not because they have too much acid it's because they have too little acid or their bodies are too alkaline. I would suggest drinking aloe or asking at super supplements for a some cholophyll drops to add to your water. Foods like chocolate or coffee have a ton of acid in them and that's why they are saying stay away. But yeah it's stupid what they suggest. It's all about eating a healthy diet. And the healthy foods that give you acid reflux you just have to stay away from. To this day I can't eat oranges or garlic. If I ever ate something with a lot of acid in it I would make sure to have some carbs like bread or crackers to soak some of it up. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions or need any ideas!
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    i know certain foods trigger reflux for me. I cannot have sugar pop, diet is fine, but a coke will kill me. which sucks, because diet pop is nowhere near as delicious! ;-)

also, sweets like chocolate set it off too. shortbread is brutal. any pastry type stuff.

overeating/binging. probably from too much pressure in my gut. duh.

perhaps you can lay off certain foods that you already know trigger the acid. then do some trials with other foods?