Which type of deadlift to do?

Options
mdcoug
mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
I'm starting on Saturday and when looking at the exercise photos in the book, they have a different type of deadlift, where you bend your knees. Does it matter if I do the form that I'm more used to: straight back and knees, lowering the weight along the front of your legs? I'll be using dumbbells if that makes a difference.

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Do the one in the book with a barbell. The straight leg deadlift works your leg muscles differently. It's not bad, it's just different.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Like holly said, the straight leg DL doesn't work the muscles in the same way. You can do a regular DL with DBs instead of straight leg. Or you can substitute the Romanian DL that is a cross between the two (sorta). The regular DL will give you a full body workout vs primarily working the legs (as the Romanian and straight leg DL do).
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Like holly said, the straight leg DL doesn't work the muscles in the same way. You can do a regular DL with DBs instead of straight leg. Or you can substitute the Romanian DL that is a cross between the two (sorta). The regular DL will give you a full body workout vs primarily working the legs (as the Romanian and straight leg DL do).

That's very helpful, thanks!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options