Protecting the back

Options
Daresie
Daresie Posts: 41 Member
I just started NROL4W and so far am loving it (love reading about it - the doing it may kill me!!)

I and all my family have back issues. How do I know if I am doing deadlifts right or wrong? All my life I have heard "lift with your legs, not your back." Right now I'm not having trouble with it (only lifting a 40 pound bar), but I'm concerned that as it goes heavier, that straightening part will injure my back. Suggestions?

And secondly - tho not related to my above subject - does it matter which of a set of exercises you do? So it if calls for deadlifts, should I do the first one listed, or any of the different ones listed in that section.

I have about a million more questions. I steal as much time as possible to read previous postings and learn from them. Sure appreciate all you experienced people sharing with us noobs.

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Daresie - I hope that your new weight program will strengthen your back and protect you from your family history. A few items of advice:
    - watch some rippetoe videos or go to the stronglifts site so that you can watch the correct form.

- keep your head neutral, or even up like in the book to start, in order to keep your back flat instead of rounded.

- this is one move that you actually hold your breath until the very end, so that you keep your core tight

Yes, do the regular dead lift to start. They mix it up in the other stages with other kinds of dead lifts.

Welcome and Enjoy!!!