Homemade Mayonnaise

Clownfish423
Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
Anybody perfected their recipe? I've tried all kinds of variations: Olive oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, different combinations of the three oils, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, etc. I guess I haven't quite found the recipe for me. I generally use the mayo to make salad dressings and I'm just not there yet. My basic recipe is 2 egg yolks at room temp + 1 tbsp of either lemon juice or ACV in the food processor with about 1 tsp of Dijon mustard, then gradually adding about a cup of the oil. It emulsifies nicely and makes a good-looking mayo....I guess I'm looking to find a "secret ingredient" to get the taste I'm looking for. I even tried a drop or 2 of stevia to make it a little sweeter and thought that was bleh! Yes, I do use raw egg yolks. Haven't had a problem yet. I always use the freshest high-quality organic and cage-free eggs I can find. I stay away from the commercial mayo because of the soybean oil (omega 6) and other ingredients I can't pronounce.

Replies

• Making my own mayo is on my list. Everything in it is something I like. Yet I have never liked mayo and I suspect it's because I've only ever had store bought, processed, chemical filled crud.

When I start experimenting, I'll let ya know. :-)
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    I've been using light olive oil and bringing EVERYTHING to room temp before making. To me, all the other oils were too overpowering in taste. Next time, I think I will try half light olive oil, half coconut oil and see how that comes out.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    This is my absolute favourite recipe, and it always turns out great for me. I make it in my food processor and pour the oil into the food pusher thing, which has a little hole in the bottom for the oil to drizzle from. Saves me from standing over it pouring very slowly. Love it!

Melissa Joulwan's site:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    This is my absolute favourite recipe, and it always turns out great for me. I make it in my food processor and pour the oil into the food pusher thing, which has a little hole in the bottom for the oil to drizzle from. Saves me from standing over it pouring very slowly. Love it!

Melissa Joulwan's site:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

I used this too! I used an immersion blender and did it all slooowly. The texture was perfect! However, I used walnut oil and the taste was pretty strong. I am going to try a different oil. Didn't think about using coconut oil! I think I'll try that!!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member

Melissa Joulwan's site:

This is the recipe I use, too. I use the lightest -tasting olive oil I can find, and eggs from my chickens. I DON'T bring everything to room temp, though. I throw everything into a wide-mouth quart Mason jar and use my immersion blender on it. Perfect mayo in 30 seconds flat, every time. I'll never buy the jarred crap again. :love:
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member

That is brillant! I never thought of that.

My homemade mayo is one room tempurature egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of light olive oil, I tsp of mustard, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of onion powder, and 3/4 tsp of salt. Mix together, then drizzle an additional 1 cup of light olive oil into mixture in food processor.
  • Clownfish423
    I make it in my food processor and pour the oil into the food pusher thing, which has a little hole in the bottom for the oil to drizzle from. Saves me from standing over it pouring very slowly.

This idea is incredible! I just examined my food processor and it has the little hole, too! It's such a pain to slowly drizzle in the oil. I'm going to try that recipe, too. Will let you know what I think!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member

Melissa Joulwan's site:

This is the recipe I use, too. I use the lightest -tasting olive oil I can find, and eggs from my chickens. I DON'T bring everything to room temp, though. I throw everything into a wide-mouth quart Mason jar and use my immersion blender on it. Perfect mayo in 30 seconds flat, every time. I'll never buy the jarred crap again. :love:
    I just bought an immersion blender. I'm going to try this. It would be great to be able to make it right in the mason jar.

This is the recipe I've used. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/ I like it because it uses the whole egg. I'm going to cut it in half next time because I don't get it all used before it's time to dispose of it. I use extra light olive oil.
  • Clownfish423
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I did make the recipe that everybody seems to like and I think the difference was the olive oil. I've always used the organic first pressed extra virgin, which is really heavy on the flavor. It made the mayo almost bitter tasting. I didn't think to try the light olive oil. That makes a huge difference in the flavor!

So, I made the recipe with the light olive oil and made Caesar salad dressing. It was excellent! For you Caesar fans, I use the Simply Organic package, but instead of mixing with half mayo and half milk, I mixed it with the mayo and some heavy cream, then thin with water to the consistency I like it. I'm a very happy camper now!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Definitely use a very very light oil.Everyday paleo has a pretty good one too!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member

Melissa Joulwan's site:

I just bought an immersion blender. I'm going to try this. It would be great to be able to make it right in the mason jar.

This is the recipe I've used. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/ I like it because it uses the whole egg. I'm going to cut it in half next time because I don't get it all used before it's time to dispose of it. I use extra light olive oil.
    I used my immersion blender last night for the first time to make mayo in a mason jar. Worked like a dream. I didn't even have to drizzle the oil. Just put all the ingredients into the jar, blended it starting at the bottom and slowly working upward. It was done in about 1 minute.
  • sjglancy
    sjglancy Posts: 13
    I've tried making my own and have yet to get anything decent
  • sjglancy
    sjglancy Posts: 13

I used my immersion blender last night for the first time to make mayo in a mason jar. Worked like a dream. I didn't even have to drizzle the oil. Just put all the ingredients into the jar, blended it starting at the bottom and slowly working upward. It was done in about 1 minute.

I am going to have to try this - sounds promising!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Tried this tonight, had excellent Mayo in 30 seconds!!! Awesome, it was great to not have to pick it out of my Vitamix!!!
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    So, needed this info, cause its almost time to buy a jar of mayo. I think I will use the immersion idea..wonder if it will fit into the b jar and fool a picky basement dweller :) our son...