When's Your Next Half Marathon?

Options

Replies

• hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Did My Spring forward 15K this Saturday in 1:29:19, I ranked 408th...8th in my age bracket.....not bad for an old lady...lol !
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!!!
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Did My Spring forward 15K this Saturday in 1:29:19, I ranked 408th...8th in my age bracket.....not bad for an old lady...lol !

That's great well done :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My first is coming up on April 7th. Running of the Elks in Elk Grove, CA. Goal time is 2:15. Completed my long run training at 12 miles and am now tapering a little. No doubt on being able to run it if I stick to the right pace. Start slow at 10:30 - 11:00 and do negative splits so that I finish at about 9:30 pace. At least that's my plan. :drinker:

Sounds like a great plan! I am trying to figure out what pace to start out at so I can do the same thing - my goal is under 2:10. I don't want to start too slow and then not be able to make it up. I just keep running the numbers, cause I am not sure what I am capable of! I think I want to try to start in the 10:00 range for the first 5 miles or so, and then speed up. I love the feeling of finishing strong - don't want the last half to be torture. The last couple miles can be torture - thats OK!

Ran my half today in 2:08:25. I stuck with the 2:10 pacer until around mile 9 and then sped up and finished under pace. Was a great feeling to finish strong, and be passing people at the end!

Next half is Sept 28th, I think. Haven't actually signed up yet.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    new pb, yay 1h52m35s
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am signed up to do my first half on May 4 - Cap City in Columbus. I signed up with a training group and having been working with them since December. I train five days a week and have my long runs on Saturday.

My goal is to finish under three hours. And I was getting worried and upset because I have had a lot of knee and leg issues and so I am now planning to walk a big portion of it - but I paced myself on my last long run and walked a lot of that and I should still be okay. The course is open for four hours anyway. I was kind of bummed because I have never had to walk any part of a race but I am still so proud of all my hard work! If not a bit anxious! LOL

Good luck to all of you on your upcoming races!!! :drinker:
  • JulesX1982
    JulesX1982 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed up for it yet but I am planning on running either a half marathon or a full marathon in October. Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I am just finishing up Week 8 of Hal Higdon's Half Intermediate program and at the end I am going to make my own half marathon plan because there isn't any in my area when I can get the time off which sucks!!

Happy training to everyone!!!!
  • imabanta
    imabanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also training for the Salt Lake City half marathon on April 20th. This will be my first marathon and I have 2 goals. The first is to finish it in 2:30. Next? To run the entire course!! Kind of nervous. I fell ill during my training and had to stop for a couple of weeks, and then struggled getting back into training. But I'm pretty sure I can do this =)
    Good luck to you!!
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Did my first preview run for my 1/2 on Saturday...they said it would be 2 laps of the back 6.5 miles of the course...they fibbed...when all was said and done it was 14.3 !!. At the last minute I decided not to wear my jacket, so I had no place to keep my smart phone and no way to record my time...arrrrgh !! It gave me some much needed confidence and a new goal.....If I run smart I'm hoping for a sub 2:00 race....a rather lofty goal, but hey you only run your first once.
    Nice job to all who ran their's this weekend !!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My first is coming up on April 7th. Running of the Elks in Elk Grove, CA. Goal time is 2:15. Completed my long run training at 12 miles and am now tapering a little. No doubt on being able to run it if I stick to the right pace. Start slow at 10:30 - 11:00 and do negative splits so that I finish at about 9:30 pace. At least that's my plan. :drinker:

Sounds like a great plan! I am trying to figure out what pace to start out at so I can do the same thing - my goal is under 2:10. I don't want to start too slow and then not be able to make it up. I just keep running the numbers, cause I am not sure what I am capable of! I think I want to try to start in the 10:00 range for the first 5 miles or so, and then speed up. I love the feeling of finishing strong - don't want the last half to be torture. The last couple miles can be torture - thats OK!

Ran my half today in 2:08:25. I stuck with the 2:10 pacer until around mile 9 and then sped up and finished under pace. Was a great feeling to finish strong, and be passing people at the end!

Great Job! I ended up with 2:10 official timing. I ended up pacing the 2:15 pacer for the first few miles but got thrown off when I had to make a port o potty pit stop at mile two. I made up for the lost time more or less but having the feeling I could have done better had I managed pre-race hydration better.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Great Job! I ended up with 2:10 official timing. I ended up pacing the 2:15 pacer for the first few miles but got thrown off when I had to make a port o potty pit stop at mile two. I made up for the lost time more or less but having the feeling I could have done better had I managed pre-race hydration better.

Having to make a stop really sucks. I thought I might have to, but decided it was all in my head! I got up early and had my coffee and water about 3 hours before the race, and nothing much after that. Drank loads of water in the days before.

Great time though!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    May 5th will be my third half, and frankly I'm just aiming to cross the finish line! I ran 2 half marathons in January (PB of 2:45:51) but I've since had surgery and a very long recovery. :grumble: I'm pretty positive I can make the distance, but there will most likely be a great deal of walking involved.

That said, it's still going to be awesome! It's impossible not to have fun at a hot pink, tiara wearing, feather boa sporting, champagne drinking race!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    May 19th - The Kickin' It at the Creek 1/2 Marathon in Papillion, Nebraska. This will be my 3rd 1/2 in just over a calendar year.
    My goal was to set a new PB of 1:44:59, but the training hasn't gone as well as I had hoped and this course is a little hillier than the one I set my PB on.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    June 1st, Tough Mudder :)

Then the Providence Rock 'n'Roll half, then the Newburyport Green Strides Half.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    new pb, yay 1h52m35s
    Congrats! You smoked your goal pace. Good job.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am also training for the Salt Lake City half marathon on April 20th. This will be my first marathon and I have 2 goals. The first is to finish it in 2:30. Next? To run the entire course!! Kind of nervous. I fell ill during my training and had to stop for a couple of weeks, and then struggled getting back into training. But I'm pretty sure I can do this =)
    Good luck to you!!

I'm also doing this race! The best thing about this race is most of the course is downhill... so it's a bit easier to finish with a good race time.

I do a run/walk interval when I race and I finished the SLC half in 2:21 last year - and I'm slow running. So I'm sure you will do awesome! Good luck!! :drinker:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What's your goal time?
    Is this your first?
    How much training are you doing a week?

Would love to know where everyone's at :)

My goal time for this half is 1:52:00. Some days I think this is too lofty but other days it seems totally possible. It's going to be tough to do for sure but that is my goal and I'm sticking with it.

This will be my first half marathon. I've done three 5ks and I'm set to do two more before the half but I'm liking this longer distance better I think. The 5ks just happen too quickly.

I'm currently hitting somewhere around 40 miles a week but that can be over or under 5 miles depending on how difficult of a run I have on some days.

I have until June 9th for the race.
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My VERY FIRST half is Feb. 25th 2014! It's the Disney Princess Half!!

I'm currently doing the C25K program, then I'll move on to the 10k, then the half program. It says three days a week, but sometimes I do 4 or 5 but do the same workout each day for the week I am on in the program.

My current goal for pace is 16 min/mile, which is the pace to not be picked up by bus at a mile marker! Lol. I currently run at a 12 min/m pace, when I am running during the workout. When I run/walk its a 15 min/m pace! Slow, but still a head of 16, with walking!

I'm super excited! Even if its forever away.
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I think it is great that you 1. are planning ahead and 2. giving yourself enough time to reach each goal WITHOUT getting injured. I followed the same path as you- C25K graduate last April?May? then the bridge to 10K- which took me FOREVER because I had so much trouble running during the summer months. I'd do the time or distance of the workout but would have to take walking breaks and I would not move myself up until I was able to completely run for the given time. Once I finally reached 10K- I ran that distance, every other day for about 2 1/2 months. I believe this built up a solid base for when I did start "official" 1/2 marathon training in January.

Best of luck to you as you reach each step in your ultimate goal!