My success at kicking sugar

Hey everyone! My name is Kelsey and I just joined this group today. I've read some of yall's posts and I'm glad that I'm not the only one struggling with trying to kick the sugar habit. I know it's hard to resist the cookie or chocolate cake, but I have one strategy that has worked for me so far. I plan out my meals each week. I just tell my parents what foods I'd like to eat to lose weight and they have been very supportive in buying healthy foods. Although they buy unhealthy sugar-filled snack cakes for my siblings, I resist the urge and imagine what I will look like if I don't eat it. When making my diet plan, I try to write down healthy, filling foods such as eggs, almonds, veggies, fruit, etc. Foods that can satisfy the sweet tooth but also healthy (in the right portion of course) are: dark chocolate, peanut butter, yogurt, fruits, Honey Maid low fat cinnamon crackers, etc. When I get a sweet tooth, I choose one of those options and it seems to satisfy my sugar craving. I have also learned that if you want that chocolate cake, eat it! But be smart in how much you're eating. You don't want to overdo it nor deprive yourself. Good luck!

Replies

• anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Hi Kelsey, great tips given above. I consider myself not as addicted to sugar as I used to be due to a couple of practices I've adopted in the past 3 months, i.e. stopped taking sugar in my tea, avoided chocolate for 1 month, simple but, for me, effective. I've found I can satisfy my sugar craving moment with something more healthy and less likely to overindulge on, such as dried fruit, fresh fruit (Sharon fruit is particularly sweet) or a few slices of bell pepper. Once I eat something like this, I find the urge quickly dissipates.

Your comment about eat cake if you want it but be smart doesn't work for me. I'd rather avoid those foods that trigger overindulging on i.e. chocolate. My husband has often said to me "just have a small piece of it" but until recently I knew I'd struggle to do that. I look at it a bit like saying to my recovering alcoholic sister, "go on just 1 glass, won't harm"! Interesting view point though.
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    Hi Kelsey! So glad you are in the group. I too have made a lot of progress in my sugar cravings just by planning out my meals and sticking to the plan. I've also fallen off the wagon so many times that I've come to realize feeling AMAZING is much better than feeling regret and yuck! Whenever I think about eating junk I just ask myself if it's worth it! I have days where I really feel it's worth it to eat some chocolate, so I do. I usually regret it, but I don't fall into a binge cycle like I used to.

For me it's mental....I have to do a lot of positive self talk and focus on the healthy foods I can have instead of the ones I can't

Looking forward to learning more about your journey and supporting you in your goals!