Gaining Strength

Options
misssiri
misssiri Posts: 335 Member
I'm sorry if this topic has been covered in this group. If there is a way to search within the group topics can someone let me know how please?

Anyway, is it possible to gain strength while eating in a deficit? I don't mean mass, I realize that is not going to happen unless in a surplus. I'm talking strictly strength if eating at a fairly small deficit to lose fat.

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I lift weight on a small deficit and my strength has definitely increased. In just a few weeks I might add (I do compound lifts and added progressive weight in the first few weeks on a 3x5 program .. have now switched things up a bit to a program that adds reps every week and weight every 5 weeks).

Very possible. Sometimes I'm surprised how much strength I've gained in a fairly short amount of time while losing a few inches and tightening up around the edges, and slooooooowly losing weight according to my scale also. :smile:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I believe so.

I haven't been in deficit the whole time I've been lifting, but I've gained a lot of strength.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 but am having a hard time feeling like I'm making much progress with strength. I still want to lose some more fat as well. I have yet to find the right combination of macros or timing with my runs or enough fuel on any given day, etc. I'm going to keep at it. It's all worth it on the days I feel like I killed it and am making progress.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I did.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    The only things I have found are, stalls that happen sooner and small injuries take a bit longer to recover from.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
    I've gained a ton of strength and have been on a slight deficit for a majority of my lifting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • crash1967
    crash1967 Posts: 31
    Options
    keep on with the stronglifts. before long you will know you are gaining strength.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Definitely.

I was on a deficit for a year and made really good strength gains - I was hitting PRs all the way through.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Yes, very possible and very doable especially if you're new to lifting.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Another voice to the crowd. Absolutely.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this topic has been covered in this group. If there is a way to search within the group topics can someone let me know how please?

Anyway, is it possible to gain strength while eating in a deficit? I don't mean mass, I realize that is not going to happen unless in a surplus. I'm talking strictly strength if eating at a fairly small deficit to lose fat.

I've lost about 50 lbs since January and in that time my big-3 total has gone up by over 100 lbs. I'm coming off an injury so that's part of it, but you can definitely get stronger on a cut.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Yes, most definitely! I have experienced *MASSIVE* strength gains since I started in July. I feel like my teenaged self now, instead of like that fat old lady that can't carry a gallon of milk. :laugh: