bench press fail

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I agree with the above comments though, the smith machine also forces a certain angle. So you might not have been correctly centered over the bar...etc.

This is what I was going to say may be the problem.

Or, as noted already, you could just have been having an off day - it happens.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert... but in the past, I have experienced muscle failure for one of two reasons; a) not eating enough cals b) lifting without regular rest periods.

I don't know if that is helpful at all, but those are the experiences that I have had in lifting.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support. I'm going to give this a go again in a couple of days. I lift every other day so today is cardio and resistance. Tomorrow will be an OHP/Squat/Deadlift day and then another cardio/resistance day and then Saturday I'll take another swing at Bench/Squat/Row. I'll make sure to eat well before hand, drop back to 50 and use the olympic bench rather than the smith machine and make sure that I'm actually doing a suficient rest in between sets. I'll check in afterwards.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also, if you were able to do 5 reps twice, and then could only do 3 and then 1, I think your rest times were too short. I've had to use a stopwatch and force myself to wait longer than I "want" to because apparently I'm a bad judge of how much I've recovered. :laugh:

Hmmmmm...I'm quite sure I don't wait the 'required' 3 minutes. I didn't think it would honestly make that much of a difference. I'll set a timer and actually wait next time.
    It will make your workout less effective than it would've been if you'd completed all 5 sets. The strength benefits don't come from muscular failure but from successfully moving the load, as I understand it. :)

I've found I actually have to wait up to 5 minutes to recover when I am near my strength limit on upper body stuff, especially OHP. I wish I could get away with 2-3 minutes between sets.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    what the heck am I supposed to do standing around for FIVE minutes?!?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a member of that forum but my post didn't yeild any responses.

I don't see a thread. We try very hard to be helpful. :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I check MFP - but I am sad.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a member of that forum but my post didn't yeild any responses.

I don't see a thread. We try very hard to be helpful. :sad:

I didn't see a thread either. Starting your own thread gets you a greater guarantee of a response. We're pretty chatty over there and things can get overlooked pretty quickly, especially in our Check-N-Chat thread(s) ...
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Oh I know how helpful everyone is on bit forums. I didn't mean that as a dig against anyone in either forum.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I play with stuff in my garage or look at MFP or go to the bathroom or go get a drink or help the kids with their homework or skim the pool or play with my phone.

Sometimes I'll do another lower intensity exercise in between sets, like planks or some ab thing or just some stretches or something.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Sometimes I'll do another lower intensity exercise in between sets, like planks or some ab thing or just some stretches or something.

Is it rude for me to monopolize a bench for a while if I hop over and do sit ups during my rest?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I ended up putting a clock with a second counter in my garage to make sure I take the 60-second pause between sets. As it turns out, 60-90 seconds seems like quite a long time if you're standing/sitting around doing nothing much except wait for the next set because you're using the same weight .... I can't imagine having to wait an entire 5 minutes, but from what I understand at the higher weights, the extended waiting times become mandatory, so ya best get used to finding something to do (not so easy for us more fidgety people). :bigsmile:

Having said that, I highly advocate doing some stretching between reps also. Gets the time by and is also beneficial. :drinker:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Soon enough you will get to the point where five minutes flies by and you dread having to go do another set because you STILL feel like you're dying. Just my squats or deadlifts alone take me around an hour from start to finish. Sometimes longer!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    It's just that I read so many "I hate this at the gym" and I don't want to be one of "those people" even by accident.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I am extremely fidgety too. My gym is in my basement so I do any of the above, aux lifts, or do snake chores between sets. I found that when I wait enough I am even stronger on the second and third sets than I was on the first. :smile:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's just that I read so many "I hate this at the gym" and I don't want to be one of "those people" even by accident.

Those are horrible threads. 97.68% of the stuff in those threads is total bullsh!t. You pay for your membership just like anyone else and your workout is just as worthwhile as the guy who is squatting 1000lbs. Don't go out of your way to be rude but if you're using the bench you're using the bench. If someone asks to work in between sets you can choose to let them do that.

Bottom line, don't look at those threads that are people b!tching about all the jerks at the gym. Go in, do your thing, have fun, don't worry about the *kitten*.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Thanks -- tonight was a "where is everyone" night in the gym so i was able to do stuff inbetween my sets and there was no failure tonight :glasses: It was squat/ohp/deadlift day though so we'll see what happens when I go back to bench.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Soon enough you will get to the point where five minutes flies by and you dread having to go do another set because you STILL feel like you're dying. Just my squats or deadlifts alone take me around an hour from start to finish. Sometimes longer!

^ That.

And speaking of bench fail, that pretty well describes my day.

LOL
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Those are horrible threads. 97.68% of the stuff in those threads is total bullsh!t. You pay for your membership just like anyone else and your workout is just as worthwhile as the guy who is squatting 1000lbs. Don't go out of your way to be rude but if you're using the bench you're using the bench. If someone asks to work in between sets you can choose to let them do that.

Bottom line, don't look at those threads that are people b!tching about all the jerks at the gym. Go in, do your thing, have fun, don't worry about the *kitten*.

No kidding. Ugh. Plus the people who just *hate* the people who "sit around" more than they "do anything" are ignorant about how taxing heavy lifting really is. So do whatever you want while you rest, whether it's read a magazine, do stuff on your phone, anything. Don't worry about being one of "those people." Do your workout properly and you will be one of "those awesome people."
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Thanks -- tonight was a "where is everyone" night in the gym so i was able to do stuff inbetween my sets and there was no failure tonight :glasses: It was squat/ohp/deadlift day though so we'll see what happens when I go back to bench.
    Awesome, good luck with the benches!
This discussion has been closed.