Am I doing this wrong?

Options
heylookitsval
heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
A friend of mine who did this said to aim for over 100g of fat and 80g protein with less than 10g carbs while not paying attention to calories. I came across a keto calculator and it told me to lose a lot of weight on this diet I should shoot for 55g fat, 87g protein and stay withing 900 calories.

Which one is correct? I'm on day 4 and currently around 1300 calories and 100g+ fat, 80-90g protein and 10g carbs and I haven't really seen the big water weight drop yet. Should I tweak how I'm eating?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    That keto calculator does not sound right. The calorie level in particular makes it suspect. I like your friend's advice. 10 g of carbs is really conservative - most set the limit at 20 g.

Here's another keto calculator that Ive used. I usually use the min level for protein.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

That was the calculator I used but it said that how I'm eating now will only result in 7 pounds lost in a month. Is that good? I thought this diet made people lose weight quicker than that. Guess I need to kep researching certain things.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would not count on "OMG I can eat all the calories I want!!" method. You still need to be aware of how many calories you are consuming, as they still play a role with calories in vs calories out. A traditional ketogenic diet follows 60-35-5 (fat-protein-carbs), which is to say you should get 60% of your calories from fat, 35% from protein, and 5% from carbs. The actual number of grams per each category will depend upon your personal calorie goal. You can change your MFP food diary to fit this ketogenic scale by going to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom. There you can put in the different percentages for each of the categories and it will tell you exactly how many grams you should be consuming. For example, Right now I have my calorie goal set at 1600 cal, and it tells me to go for 20g carbs, 140g protein, and 107g fat.

Another thing to keep in mind when counting carbs is that dietary fiber will subtract from your total carbs. So for example, if a nutrition label shows Total Carbohydrates: 10g, Sugar 1g, Dietary Fiber 7g, your NET Carbs will be 3g (10 - 7). Fiber is different from other carbs, as your body does not absorb it in the same way as traditional carbs. It basically gets to your intestines and kind of acts as a "slide" for *ahem* your bowel movements. I recommend taking a daily fiber supplement to keep things regular!

I hope I've been helpful! If not, there are TONS of resources out there to check out :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, 7 pounds a month is awesome.

Weight loss rates vary quite a bit from person to person. You'll see some crazy big numbers from some people in a short period of time. However, many people still lose 1-2 pounds per week on average. Usually you see a large initial burst of loss - much of which is water weight; then there's a slow down from there.

From what I've seen - those bigger losses tend to be younger people, often men, or folks that have really big amounts to lose.

My target is to lost 1.5 pounds per week - about 5 pounds a month / 10 pounds every 2 months. I've lost 1.5 pounds per week for over 6 months - it adds up.

I think a lot of people come to keto under the hope of these quick losses, and then get discouraged and think they are failing when they have a loss of 1-2 pounds per week. The lost track of the big picture. Or maybe the issue is that they want to reach go quickly, so they can stop dieting and get back to eating the things that made them fat. I don't get it myself. Stay committed, and it will happen eventually.

The 900 calories per day though, is starvation levels. My opinion is that this is a bad idea that is not sustainable.