Starting Strength

Options
PriceK01
PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
Yesterday was my first day of Starting Strength :) I'm using the oly bar without weights to start, and think I'll just progress 5lbs at a time. Yesterday's workout wasn't difficult, and I'm really not feeling it today which is surprising. I don't have a squat rack, but our old Weider Club 500 has fairly large safety bars, so I feel comfortable. I might change my mind once I start increasing weights :o

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend starting with 5 lb increases for all your lifts. Squats and Deads naturally progress faster than OHP, there's no good reason you should be artificially limiting yourself.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The first week of Starting Strength is deceptively easy ... so enjoy! It'll ramp up here pretty quick. :drinker:

It's supposed to be easy at the beginning as that gives you a chance to really focus on form and get the basics down, laying a good foundation for yourself before you add serious weights. I probably spent my first couple weeks lifting around with just the oly bar before I added anything to it, just making sure my form was correct. Take as much time as you need to for that would be my personal suggestion if you're new to barbell training.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Thanks, Dani and Rock. So maybe I'll go 10lbs on squats and deads, 5lbs on bench and cleans? I don't want to get too ambitious and burn myself out. I'll see how things go after my next workout tomorrow. It's been so long since I've lifted (20yrs?), so I'm a little nervous. Also keep hearing my ex-husband in the back of my head complaining that I'm getting too bulky :/

Doing so few reps is definitely new to me and will take some getting used to. Yesterday I wanted to do 3x what the book said, but know it's best to stick with the program. I also hate skipping a day when I'm this excited. Maybe I'll go down to the weight room and rearrange things or something :D
  • DaniH826
    Options
    If memory serves, Starting Strength has you go up in weight weekly by like 5 lbs per lift?

Whereas Stronglifts has you go up in weight each session?

Now, as a woman, that's fine for the lower body stuff, but don't be surprised if you find your overhead press and bench press lagging behind and having to go up in smaller increments and eventually using fractional weights. It's perfectly normal. Your cleans will also progress slower than your deadlifts. Again, perfectly normal.

If you have the book, be sure to read it all the way through because he goes into all that.

Also, you're not going to get too bulky as a woman without taking extra testosterone and/or steroids. No worries. Lift away! :drinker:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Also keep hearing my ex-husband in the back of my head complaining that I'm getting too bulky :/
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Just double-checked my book again and it actually looks like I go up in weight with each session, so I will increase tomorrow. And yeah, he suggests women go up in higher increments for squats and deads, so that is what I will do :)

Also, since I started without weights, I stacked plates under the bar for deadlifts (about 8-9") thinking I wanted the bar at about the height of 45's. Is this correct?
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Exactly, Rock!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just double-checked my book again and it actually looks like I go up in weight with each session, so I will increase tomorrow. And yeah, he suggests women go up in higher increments for squats and deads, so that is what I will do :)

Also, since I started without weights, I stacked plates under the bar for deadlifts (about 8-9") thinking I wanted the bar at about the height of 45's. Is this correct?

For conventional deadlifts you should be starting at the same height as you would be at with a 45lb plate.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Thank you, Sara. That's what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure :)
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Session 2 done! I think I'm going to feel this one tomorrow :o Overhead presses were harder than I expected. I made a poster of the spreadsheet from the SS Wiki, to help keep track of my workouts. It also calculates the warmups for me. Pretty handy!

Warmups are interesting, since some of them require less than the weight of the barbell. I used a curling bar for some of them. I'm guessing that at 25lbs with spring collars. Does that sound about right?

I also have what I believe is a triceps bar. I think that's 22lbs? I have another weird bar with individually swiveling grips. No idea what that one is! I took a picture, lets see if I can attach it:

2013-03-28%2017.50.54.jpg

Hmmm that didn't work. Anyone know how to insert pictures from Dropbox??
  • DaniH826
    Options
    To insert pictures here you have to wedge the web link between two small-letter img tags

and without the blank spaces

When I bought my bars, I weighed myself with them and without them and subtracted the difference to get an accurate weight. I think I just put the EZ curl bar right on the scale by itself.

No sense guessing if you don't have to, because there's so much variance. If you can weigh the bar(s), then do it.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Thanks, Dani! I did use the lowercase img tags, without any spaces. I think the issue is with the links Dropbox gives me for the pictures.

Good idea about weighing them on the scale. I think I'll bring it down to my weight room, rather than carry all the bars up two flights of stairs to my master bath.

I finally found of picture of the weird bar online. It's a 47" SupraBar Olympic Curl Bar and should weight 25-29lbs:

sbcb-47.jpg
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Dani! I did use the lowercase img tags, without any spaces. I think the issue is with the links Dropbox gives me for the pictures.

Good idea about weighing them on the scale. I think I'll bring it down to my weight room, rather than carry all the bars up two flights of stairs to my master bath.

I finally found of picture of the weird bar online. It's a 47" SupraBar Olympic Curl Bar and should weight 25-29lbs:

sbcb-47.jpg

that's one bar I've never seen...
  • PriceK01
    Options

sbcb-47.jpg

that's one bar I've never seen...
    [/quote]

I've never seen it used, even though it's been in my home at least 5 years :p

I finished session 4 last night. So far, so good! Overhead press is still the most difficult, and I actually failed on my first set. Double-checked my stance and grip, then did all three sets correctly. I'm almost wondering if I should find some incremental weights so that I can reduce my current 5lb increases.

My boys stopped by last night to help me lift my roof top tent back up on the Disco. I was just finishing my last set of power cleans, and they said I looked buff :D
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Ut oh! I've been wearing my Polar HRM during these sessions and logging my calories burned, so that I'd be sure to eat them back. I just read that burn calculations from a HRM are only correct for aerobic activities, and not correct for strength training. Is this correct??
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just read that burn calculations from a HRM are only correct for aerobic activities, and not correct for strength training. Is this correct??

That's my understanding.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Well, crap. That means I've been over eating the last week and a half :o

I thought it looked odd that my HRM burn was so much higher than the MFP estimates for lifting. Should I start using those instead, or not even bother?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My preference is to estimate TDEE with an exercise inclusive model and then eat roughly the same daily whether its a lift or rest day. You don't have to do this but I find it much simpler.

Alternatively you'll just have to re-estimate your expenditure from lifting.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Thanks, SS!

I had already upped my calories from 1380 to 1480 in anticipation of starting (I'm 44, 5'10", 135lbs (was maintaining at 134 before upping calories), and 22.38% body fat from the average using Heybales' spreadsheet. I've got my macros set for 111g protein, 49g fat, and 148g carbs.

I think I'll ignore any burn from lifting for now and see how it goes.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    Session 5 done! I'm thinking 10lb increases on squats is going to be too much. Today I was supposed to be doing 85lbs, but the first set was really bad, I couldn't get parallel. I went back down to 75 on those. Everything else went OK :)
This discussion has been closed.