I'm not sure I'm doing it right, anyone care to check me?

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
44 yr old female (uncomplicated health)
According to mr. fitbit on average, I burn between 1500 and 1800 per day.
I aim to net about 1400 per day (give mostly, rarely take)
I strength train with a program similar to Starting Strength, (8 reps/set, with one or 2 exceptions) 3 days a week, takes me about 45 minutes, working in with DH. I don't add back in anything manually for exercise but instead, rely on what mr. fitbit tells me.

5' tall
starting wt: 160 (~38%bf)
current wt:156 (playing cat & mouse with 2-3 pounds)
goal wt: 120-130ish (or 25-30%bf)

This has been my routine for roughly the last 6 wks. How am I doing?:huh:
edited to add: opening diary if that helps any :drinker:

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just to keep in mind FitBit won't have a clue what the movement for weight lifting means for estimating calories, so that is probably barely anything.

And no one could comment because you didn't give enough info.

What is your BMR at the least, that'll tell you if the 1400 is good or not.
    Not sure how you do NET with FitBit if you aren't logging exercise though.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Just to keep in mind FitBit won't have a clue what the movement for weight lifting means for estimating calories, so that is probably barely anything.
    Yep, I'm aware that mr. fitbit is just an activity tracker.
    I'm using it to gauge how many calories burned during daily regular every day activity. I am not counting weight training towards anything, mainly because it's hard to gauge.
    And no one could comment because you didn't give enough info.
    What is your BMR at the least, that'll tell you if the 1400 is good or not.
    at lightly active, I got 1937
    Not sure how you do NET with FitBit if you aren't logging exercise though.
    mr.fitbit communicates with MFP & tells me what my net is.
  • heybales
    Options
    at lightly active, I got 1937

mr.fitbit communicates with MFP & tells me what my net is.

BMR doesn't include activity level, that is TDEE.

So you may have your figures messed up.

I know the FitBit syncs, and it bases it's TDEE estimate against the MFP non-exercise maintenance value, and assumes the difference is increased daily activity.
    It's not NET unless you log workouts.

And MFP estimate for strength training is small but more correct, because it doesn't burn much during the workout.

So potentially you aren't giving yourself enough since you aren't including strength training at all.

You should log your lifting.
  • hookilau
    Options
    :laugh: well that explains alot, doesn't it :ohwell:
    I went to this site for my 'BMR' http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html but yes, it's actually my TDEE. It's no wonder I'm confused, lol!

That being said, mfp says my BMR is1,269.

I wasn't logging my workouts because I've heard it's tough to gauge, besides the fact that mfp's estimate was modest, I figured it would be ok not to bother. Other than a recommendation to log lifting, am I on track?

I'm more confused now than I was this morning :grumble:
  • heybales
    Options
    :laugh: well that explains alot, doesn't it :ohwell:
    I went to this site for my 'BMR' http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html but yes, it's actually my TDEE. It's no wonder I'm confused, lol!

That being said, mfp says my BMR is1,269.

I wasn't logging my workouts because I've heard it's tough to gauge, besides the fact that mfp's estimate was modest, I figured it would be ok not to bother. Other than a recommendation to log lifting, am I on track?

I'm more confused now than I was this morning :grumble:

It's because you are trying to combine 2 methods, TDEE deficit method with manual goal setup, compared to exercise eat-back method with daily change to non-exercise TDEE with FitBit.

So that does sound like good enough of a level then for eating.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Great!...about logging weight training....is it ok if I just log 40 minutes of strength training rather than search out each and every exercise? Thanks for your input, btw :drinker:
  • heybales
    Options
    Great!...about logging weight training....is it ok if I just log 40 minutes of strength training rather than search out each and every exercise? Thanks for your input, btw :drinker:

Oh, that is the only way to do it actually.

The other is for tracking sets, reps, weight, not for calories.