HeyBales, question for you!!

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
On another thread, I saw you mention that with the BMF, the calories burned for a weight lifting session may be underestimated.

I was just commenting the other day that my weight lifting burns seem to be extremely low compared to other people. Like, maybe 176 for a 40 minutes session. And I'm going as heavy as I can and barely reaching failure at 11-12 reps.

So, are you saying, that my burns for lifting could actually be more than what the BMF is estimating? If so, that makes me feel a LOT better about my low burns!!!

Replies

• jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I will be interested to hear the response because I am the same way. My burns are very low in general for anything non cardio related (mostly weights) but it does seems to even out throughout the day. So maybe it is taking into account the afterburn?
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    That's what I'm thinking too...or, at least, hoping!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    HarlenJen is a good resource too. She has one. I believe that the workout itself appears low, but afterburn is captured with the BMF.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is true, I've heard others comment the increased heat associated with EPOC is captured somewhat.

But that is mostly fat burn during recovery, as food goes first to repair of muscles and refilling glucose stores.

Anyone feel like replenishing fat stores?

It's the calories burned purely for mechanical movement you really want to make mostly up, same 15% deficit from.
    Because we also don't make up calories burned processing food. It's included in the TDEE estimate, but we don't figure to make that up. Fat burning energy used.

And if the BMF is getting it right, and the workout was done right, you burn a lot more during the EPOC than during the workout, so that would mean actually eating more than needed.

Now, for the small % of the week's hours being talked about, probably immaterial anyway.

But the FitBit and lifting really won't get it right, and it has no estimate for post -workout increase.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I'm still a little unsure of what you're saying, though...LOL!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I'm still a little unsure of what you're saying, though...LOL!!

Basically, underestimates the actual burn of the workout time.
    BMF may account for more of the recovery burn you get, no idea if it equals what was missed.
    FitBit has no such ability, so it just underestimates.

I would be curious though.
    You could look at your MFP calorie burn time, for during the actual workout time, highlight it, and see how many calories burned total.
    Now take 24 hrs past that for total calories burned. Part one day, part the next perhaps.
    Now compare that to same time span of 24 hrs of otherwise equal activity except NOT after a lifting workout, how many calories burned.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find some entries like that, but doubtful.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Okay, got it! I get what you're saying now! Thanks for the additional feedback! I may try that comparison formula just out of curiosity!