You have finished C25K, now what?

Options

Replies

• AdobeTree
    AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't realize it was only a mile more. I'll look into the training programs.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what program you would suggest for someone who finished C25K but isn't able to complete 5k in the 30 min run? Another round of C25K or just my own thing? I'm really slow and so far haven't been able to run for longer than 30 mins. Should I just keep adding minutes or should I restart the program and go faster?

ETA...I finished a couple of weeks ago and haven't gone past 30 mins or any faster. I think I'd do much better with preset goals similar to C25K pushing me to do better. But I'm new to all this so maybe it just takes more time.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Most people aren't running 5k in the 30 minutes at the end of the C25K timed version. Some options:
    1) 5 to 10k timed versions app or podcast (and you most likely won't be doing 10k by the end of this either, but you will be doing 5k+)
    2) A 5k improver plan -- there are 5k improver apps and google Hal Higdon training for his 5k intermediate and advanced options or just 5k improver plans
    3) repeat the C25K in it's distance form
    4) Do Hal Higdon's 10k Novice training plan
    5) Go onto Running World and invest in their smart coach plan with your exact goals in mind
    6) Keep slowly increasing your running time each week, for all runs very slowly, or do 30 minutes for two runs and increase on one run a little more.

and probably many other things I'm just not thinking of
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I continued C25K with the 10K trainer App.
    I just did Week 13 Day 3 of 10K trainer which had 2 30 min sessions and 11 min of walking and I only went 5 miles.
    I am not able to do 10 min miles but am improving.
    My first 5K Race was 11 months ago at 40:10 last Saturday I did one at 33:18.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    I have not done a 10K yet I do have a 5 Miler planned for my birthday later this month.
    I have some knee and achiles issues and have to rest 4 days a week.
    After completing 10K Trainer I plan on continuing with the Half Marathon Training and hopefully will be doing 10K's this next year.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what program you would suggest for someone who finished C25K but isn't able to complete 5k in the 30 min run? Another round of C25K or just my own thing? I'm really slow and so far haven't been able to run for longer than 30 mins. Should I just keep adding minutes or should I restart the program and go faster?

ETA...I finished a couple of weeks ago and haven't gone past 30 mins or any faster. I think I'd do much better with preset goals similar to C25K pushing me to do better. But I'm new to all this so maybe it just takes more time.

What motivates you? Why do you run? The answer to that can help you decide how to proceed.

I kept adding distance (without regard to time) until I could run 5K. Just finishing a 5K race was my goal. My first time running the 5K distance (not in a race) it took me 41 minutes. I ran my first 5K race a month later in 36:20.

I actually found that I just love the sense of accomplishment running gives me. (That and the 50+ pounds I've lost!) I floundered around without a concrete plan for a while after accomplishing my 5K race goal. I thought I had to decide whether I wanted to try to get faster or run farther? Then I learned that the two weren't mutually exclusive. Running longer distances makes you faster at shorter distances. The best thing a new runner can do is to just keep gradually building up miles run per week. (But don't add them on too rapidly. Only add 10% more distance a week). I finally landed on a Hal Higdon 10K plan. Last night I ran 5 miles (without any walking) for the first time. I'm working toward 10K (6.2 miles) in three more weeks. :-)
  • shl_kgbn
    shl_kgbn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of the c25k. I am loving it so far. I am planning on doing the Savannah Bridge run in November, this will be my first race.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Week 6! Great job!

That sounds like a challenging run. Bridge=hill and you're doing it twice? Wow!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I am finishing C25K soon and I have already downloaded a 10K app. I'm thinking of working through the 10K program at a slower pace than it suggests, doing it once a week while incorporating sprint intervals and hill training into my 5K runs. I don't plan to do any races at this point. My goal when starting C25K was to be able to run 30 minutes straight. And now that I'm almost done, my new goal is to increase until I can run 60 minutes straight. This thread is so helpful, thanks again!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I am finishing C25K soon and I have already downloaded a 10K app. I'm thinking of working through the 10K program at a slower pace than it suggests, doing it once a week while incorporating sprint intervals and hill training into my 5K runs. I don't plan to do any races at this point. My goal when starting C25K was to be able to run 30 minutes straight. And now that I'm almost done, my new goal is to increase until I can run 60 minutes straight. This thread is so helpful, thanks again!

A better option would be to bring in the speed work/hills once a week, alternating, with 2 easy runs and then working on your long run. You actually don't want to do too much speed too soon as your legs are still adjusting skeletally (bones and ligaments). And for the speed work, look for a public track or do it cross country. Speed work on concrete or asphalt is a big no-no. Try to at least maintain a 3 day a week running schedule, anything less and you can actually start hurting the running endurance that you just created.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh I see! Thanks for the extra tips!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Just finished the C25K program last Sunday and My first 5k is on March 8th. Not the fastest runner but I am running!!! My goal is to run at least two miles straight without stopping. Running outside has been challenging with all the ice and snow. If I finish under 45 minutes I will be thrilled. I never thought I would be running. this program is awesome
  • geordielass77
    geordielass77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing the C25k with the Run Double app on my phone for quite a while but I'm really slow and found that doing a timed intervals programme I wasnt really getting anywhere near the distance of 5k in 30 minutes. Recently, I started the C25K distance intervals programme and have found this to be working much better for me. Im not worried about the time and I work out ahead roughly where each interval will take me to on the route that I do. I also try to keep the route the same but obviously extending it as the distance increases. I have found that I am knocking up to a minute or two off the previous session each time I complete my run.
    On the app there is also other programmes such as 0-10k and 5-10k also an improver 5k as well as 10k event training and half marathon programmes. They can be done in timed or distance intervals. There are also various fun runs also in timed and distance.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Finding your training pace

Hello everyone,

I thought I would come back and write another article. I haven't been doing many as of late, but I have been poking my nose on the forums and helping to answer some questions about running and stuff. So here is my latest write up.

I see it a lot in the general forums and in the long distance group forum; people asking what should my training paces be? On race day, pay attention to what your finish time is. You can use that time to determine what your training pace should be. All of your easy runs should be completed about 2:30 slower than your 5K pace. To find what your training paces should be use this calculator:

http://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

You put in your fastest 5K time, and you can use that to determine what your training paces should be. The calculator will also give you projected finishing times for a 10K, HM and FM. On the training page you then see the paces: Easy, Marathon, Threshold, Interval, Repitition.

Easy is self explanitory, and is what 80% of your weekly runs should be (keep in mind that if you have just began running then easy runs should be about 100% of your runs for about a year). The easy run pace is also the pace that your long run will be completed at.

Marathon pace, that is the suggested pace that you could run a marathon in (with proper training of course). This pace is also used in tempo long runs...runs that are usually 1/2 through a training plan to help stimulate race day.

Threshold pace: Otherwise known as tempo or VO2 max. This pace usually done in a tempo run. It is usually about 20-30 seconds slower than your 5K pace, but still at a decent speed that you need to put forth effort to keep running. These runs are not very long, usually 60 minutes tops. They help your body learn to quicken the delivery of oxygen and fuels to your legs.

Interval pace: This are another VO2 max pace. This pace is used as its name suggests, in intervals. These are used with long intervals to help improve your 5K time. Typically you use these in long interval sets of 800 meters - 1600 meters.

Repetition pace: These are your fastest training paces, and they are what are considered sprints. They are typically 95-100% of your VO2 max, and are extremely short running periods, about 200-400 meters long, followed by a rest period of 3-5 minutes. If you see a training plan that suggests doing strides at the end, this is the pace you would do them at unless otherwise stated (some plans have you do strides at 5K pace). These are meant to be hard, and are meant to wear you out at the end.

Until next time...run strong!
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great info
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bookmarking.
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    Just finished my first Trail Run 5k.. hooked looking for another

Also just downloaded C210k app. Looking forward to training with it
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    After C2TK I moved on through a bridge to 10K and now halfway through a 12-week half-marathon plan. Registered to run a half-marathon in late July. (And to think I couldn't run more than about a mile without being totally gassed just about 6 months ago).
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    just and completed my first trail run 5k and downloaded c210k Trails are kick *kitten* fun and hard running but I think I see more of them in my future
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just completed hal higdon 5km novice program. Happy with progress and happy not to rush. Moving on over to 5 km intermediate to improve stamina and time. Still heavy, but winning at losing!
  • DaisyH36
    DaisyH36 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K 2 wks ago. I did the Color Run with my 10 year old and we walked most of that last week. I then ran a 5K the next day and started the C210K app Monday. I find I like that 1 min to walk and need it. I did get 4 miles in during the first night.

I don't find that I am losing much weight, not like I thought I would. So I am going to start alternating some short, faster runs.