My problem is I love sweets and chocolate

Options
RichardGaspa
RichardGaspa Posts: 51 Member
Hi Everybody,

My problem is that I love sweets and chocolate... my sweet cravings are so strong sometimes I can't resist... well like yesterday; I had a doughnut. UGG ! :blushing:

I know it is bad and most of the time I cannot stop at one. I would like to know what you're eating instead. something healthy replacing the doughnut. I found these unsweetened chocolate bars I like at wal-mart. any more ideas?

Replies

• jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi Richard ! Honestly, I am trying to live my life one day at a time and not think of this as a diet, but a lifestyle. If I am in the mood for chocolate or a donut and nothing is going to satisfy me until I get some, I eat it. I have learned to control myself and stick to a portion of something as long as I have the calories and macros for the day to do it. I also like fruit for sweetness, berries with angel food cake and some cool whip, jello, pudding (tons of varieties !!!! ) , frozen fruit bars, sherbert, frozen yogurt, Fiber One bars with drizzled chocolate, cereal or Bear Naked granola. I have a recipe for devil's food chocolate cake made with greek yogurt that is pretty darn good and low in calories for such a treat. It's all about eating for the long haul. Best of luck !
  • RichardGaspa
    Options
    Hi Richard ! Honestly, I am trying to live my life one day at a time and not think of this as a diet, but a lifestyle. If I am in the mood for chocolate or a donut and nothing is going to satisfy me until I get some, I eat it. I have learned to control myself and stick to a portion of something as long as I have the calories and macros for the day to do it. I also like fruit for sweetness, berries with angel food cake and some cool whip, jello, pudding (tons of varieties !!!! ) , frozen fruit bars, sherbert, frozen yogurt, Fiber One bars with drizzled chocolate, cereal or Bear Naked granola. I have a recipe for devil's food chocolate cake made with greek yogurt that is pretty darn good and low in calories for such a treat. It's all about eating for the long haul. Best of luck !

Jonswife,

I agree with you that this is a lifestyle and not a diet. I cheat (Alot !!!) Cheating use to get me mad at myself at the beginning and even depressed. That has changed. Now not if but when I cheat, I don't get mad any more. I just tell myself I will work a little longer on the treadmill tonight,

I found this method works for me best. Now when I walk past a doughnut I think twice. Do I really want to spend 30 extra mins on the treadmill? I think not.

The recipe for devil's food chocolate cake made with greek yogurt sounds yummy. If you find the time and you can share start a new discussion topic named "Recipes" of something related and post your recipe there. I am sure others will have others recipes to share.
  • RichardGaspa
    Options
    Jonswife,

The recipe for devil's food chocolate cake made with greek yogurt sounds yummy. If you find the time and you can share start a new discussion topic named "Recipes" of something related and post your recipe there. I am sure others will have others recipes to share.

I just noticed that there is already an area for food suggestions and recipes. If you decide to leave the receipt for that yummy recipe leave it in the "FOOD SUGGESTION" AREA
  • iamdebest1
    Options
    Hi Richard. I certainly understand your pain. I love sweets and chocolate, and moderation is just not something I am good at. I have accepted that about me but I refuse to be defeated. I have learned to make trade offs. For example, I have decided that my solution to the problem is to abstain from solid foods on a very regular basis. I also know at the same time I still need to give my body something to keep the hungriness off. I do not respond well to artificial sweeteners of any kind. They give me really bad headaches. My trade off in sweeteners is honey. It does take me over budget in my sugar goals but I think there are some health benefits to the honey that kind of balance things out. The other problem that comes up when I am only consuming liquids is protein deprivation. I have chosen a triple chocolate whey protein supplement that I mix with water and add Stoneyfield brand vanilla greek yogurt with ice and blend it till it is thick. It tastes really good and the sugars are very low. I also make the same concoction and instead of ice I use hot water. I also drink silk brand dark chocolate almond milk. It is sinfully good. Special K has a new product called pastry crisps and a serving is only 100 calories. "chocolatey delight" could be a good trade off instead of the donut. belva brand makes a "breakfast biscuit" that comes in chocolate. one serving is 230 calories. the serving is a pack of 4 thin cookies. they are good satisfying and might be a reasonable solution when you crave chocolate and sweets.
  • jamesnewberrysr
    jamesnewberrysr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess I can only sympathize with you. I was a big beer drinker through out my life and thought it would be okay to have one here and there, even when trying to lose weight. I tried substituting alcohol free beer but could not stand it. I am in the same boat with sweets. If I substitute say a diet cola instead of having a full sugar cola, I am not dealing with my sweet tooth, but giving in to it by substituting. I drink water with lemon juice in it and that is my drink when I crave sweet drinks or beer. A lot of diets, such as Weight Watchers let you indulge by allowing you a limited amount of what you crave, but I think taking the limited amount is setting myself for a full blown sugar spree. I know the cravings for sugar pass when you give up the full sugar drinks and the no sugar substitutes for a couple of weeks.
  • davidwendell
    davidwendell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love sweets too... as well as savories....and beer....etc.

However, I refuse to admit that we do not have the will power to resist eating these things. So perhaps the question is, "how do I strengthen my will?" There are a lot of ways to do build good habits:

1. Avoid situations where you'll be tempted (don't bring it into your home, etc.)
    2. Share your struggles and goals (here and IRL) with your community
    3. Make sure what you are trying to do is the right thing (some have mentioned that already)

With respect to that last point, being healthy is a long term process, so permit yourself to celebrate on special occasions. There is nothing, per se, unhealthy with chocolate, or even donuts.