Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Shakes and diet?

Hi chappies!

Few questions from a newbie :) do you guys follow the nutrition plan? And by how much? I'd like to start cos I've heard you get better results if you do and I've seen some people say they get no results if they don't follow the plan?

Also in terms of the shakes and stuff, what do you do? I sometimes have a protein shake at the gym after a workout but I don't have anything like that at home to make myself, any recommendations? Are the shakes for added protein or are some for recovery? I'm a little lost! Are they that important?

I don't see the point of going through insanity if I'm not going to do it right! Any help or advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks :)

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    I don't follow the nutrition plan and I drink chocolate flavoured milk after my workout :laugh:
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    I don't follow the nutrition plan and I drink chocolate flavoured milk after my workout :laugh:

Are you still seeing results? I've seen so many great before and after shots - and I want those for myself, but i've read a few blogs or posts where people have said they've lost no inches or pounds because they're not followed the eating plan perhaps? I eat pretty healthily (apart from the occasional drink) - so not sure whether it will affect me that much!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member

Are you still seeing results?

I'm currently in my Recovery week and posted my progress picture. I think my tummy has gone down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/942115-my-half-way-point-insanity-pictures
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    I didn't for the first few weeks, now I use their formula for the nutrition plan (but don't eat their recipes, just keep it within the goal I got for myself) :)
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    The point of the nutrition plan is to get you to eat a diet of 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat) and spread out your calories throughout the day. If you can do this without their recipes, great! but some people don't see eating clean and healthy as being able to eat good food, so the meal plan gives you recipe ideas that make it seem less like a diet and more like a way of life.

As for the protein shakes, yes some are for building, some are for recovery and others are better for those of us who wish to lean out. If you want to build muscle after your workout choose one with a higher carb count. This will give you more energy to build the muscles.

If you want just straight recovery glutamine work well, it is zero calories and mixes into any drink as the powder is sold flavorless. Or you could use Branch Chain Aminos Acids during or after your workout. One I like is BSN AminoX watermelon flavor.

And if you want a protein shake to help you meet your protein needs and still lean out choose a shake that is lower carb and high protein. The one that I have in my cabinet right now is Nutrez muscle infusion chocolate monster (25g protein and 4 g carbs.) If you take this after your workout make sure that you have a 4:1 ratio of protein:carbs to allow your musclse the protein and energy to repair.

For those of you interested in the science aspect of it, you need carbs to get your body to release insulin which opens receptors in the muscles to allow for other things, like protein to be taken into the muscle.

If you want some help choosing your options, MSG me.
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    The point of the nutrition plan is to get you to eat a diet of 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat) and spread out your calories throughout the day. If you can do this without their recipes, great! but some people don't see eating clean and healthy as being able to eat good food, so the meal plan gives you recipe ideas that make it seem less like a diet and more like a way of life.

As for the protein shakes, yes some are for building, some are for recovery and others are better for those of us who wish to lean out. If you want to build muscle after your workout choose one with a higher carb count. This will give you more energy to build the muscles.

If you want just straight recovery glutamine work well, it is zero calories and mixes into any drink as the powder is sold flavorless. Or you could use Branch Chain Aminos Acids during or after your workout. One I like is BSN AminoX watermelon flavor.

And if you want a protein shake to help you meet your protein needs and still lean out choose a shake that is lower carb and high protein. The one that I have in my cabinet right now is Nutrez muscle infusion chocolate monster (25g protein and 4 g carbs.) If you take this after your workout make sure that you have a 4:1 ratio of protein:carbs to allow your musclse the protein and energy to repair.

For those of you interested in the science aspect of it, you need carbs to get your body to release insulin which opens receptors in the muscles to allow for other things, like protein to be taken into the muscle.

If you want some help choosing your options, MSG me.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into all of that and will def message if I need some more help!

I think I eat pretty well (there's always room for improvement) but I don't hit my macros very much. I'm finding the amount of protein i'm meant to consume A LOT! So I think for a few weeks at least I will try to use the guide to inform myself and then maybe after a while I'll be able to do it on my own. I don't want to cut out all the things I eat at the moment (well mostly alcohol is what i don't want to cut out) because as soon as insanity is over i'll just start having the odd drink again so I want to be able to do this whilst not constantly denying myself the things I like. It's just moderation really! I used to go out with friends to drink 4 times a week or so, whereas now it's only once or twice.

But I like eating healthily and looking at the meal plan and also what foods are recommended and whatnot, I don't think it's going to make my diet that different so hopefully it won't feel like i'm denying myself anything!