End of cycle 1

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys....I'm glad my totally crappy, fatigued feelings during workouts this week have some sort of "validation" :laugh:

I'll let you into a little secret: for my first 3 cycles I was bulking and didn't really feel too run down at the end of the cycle. Was getting plenty of sleep, too. Cycles 4-6 I've been cutting (and not getting as much sleep, too) and by the end of the cycle I've felt like hammered-crap!

I upped my cals to put me within 200 cals of maintenance for cycle 5 and felt a lot better after it than after cycle 4 (500 cals under maintenance) so there's a direct correlation between how far under maintenance you are and how bad you feel after week 5 of a cycle.

In 4 weeks today (in Cycle 7, Week 2), my partner is due to give birth. I'm not even sure how I'm going to deal with the workouts with no sleep! May even have to add more calories to get me through.....

Just gotta keep on, keeping on!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'll let you into a little secret: for my first 3 cycles I was bulking and didn't really feel too run down at the end of the cycle. Was getting plenty of sleep, too. Cycles 4-6 I've been cutting (and not getting as much sleep, too) and by the end of the cycle I've felt like hammered-crap!

I upped my cals to put me within 200 cals of maintenance for cycle 5 and felt a lot better after it than after cycle 4 (500 cals under maintenance) so there's a direct correlation between how far under maintenance you are and how bad you feel after week 5 of a cycle.

That gels with what I've seen folks say on the BB.com boards. This routine, while more forgiving about cutting than similar & 5x5 programs, is still punishing if you're not eating at least at maintenance levels.

By the way, All Pro's basic formula for finding your daily calorie target is:
    Cutting = ( Body Weight * 10 )
    Maintenance = ( Body Weight * 15 )
    Bulking = ( Body Weight * 20 )

I was struck by how close those numbers come to all the TDEE +/- X% stuff I've been doing.

He's also said 40/40/20 for macro targets, which is a slight shift from the 40/30/30 that I'd been targeting for a long time... The extra protein makes sense given this routine's built, at least in part, for adding muscle mass.
    In 4 weeks today (in Cycle 7, Week 2), my partner is due to give birth. I'm not even sure how I'm going to deal with the workouts with no sleep! May even have to add more calories to get me through.....

Congrats! Good luck, but still congrats. :)

All Pro's said a few times that you can do work*rest*rest*work*rest*rest*work*rest*rest ... It'll just take longer to cycle.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Good luck, but still congrats. :)

Thanks!

I was umming and ahhing about going onto something quick and non-cns taxing like Dan John's Easy Strength for 12 weeks when the baby comes. Or even swap over onto a couple of cycles of a double kb routine for a few months that I can do in the front room and maximise my "home time".

I've got no shortage of options - in fact, at the moment too many options! However, I'll probably stick to AP for as long as I can, but I'm already nudging up to a 1.5 x body weight back squat and I find that pretty taxing to recover from with plenty of sleep!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Jimmmer, congrats and all the very best for the arrival of the little one. All this working out will keep you in fine fettle for babycaring!
    By the way, All Pro's basic formula for finding your daily calorie target is:
    Cutting = ( Body Weight * 10 )
    Maintenance = ( Body Weight * 15 )
    Bulking = ( Body Weight * 20 )

I was struck by how close those numbers come to all the TDEE +/- X% stuff I've been doing.
    I read that too - and similar stuff on Lyle M's site. But it doesn't seem to be working like that for me. As per the IPOARM spreadsheet posted by heybales - my Maintenance is barely at Body Weight *11, and for cutting I need to be at BW*8 which is most annoyingly low so I end up going over calorie target on most days. I guess i must be more sedentary than AllPro's formula is designed for.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I read that too - and similar stuff on Lyle M's site. But it doesn't seem to be working like that for me. As per the IPOARM spreadsheet posted by heybales - my Maintenance is barely at Body Weight *11, and for cutting I need to be at BW*8 which is most annoyingly low so I end up going over calorie target on most days. I guess i must be more sedentary than AllPro's formula is designed for.

Yeah, there's definitely some discrepancy at play when you figure in activity level, TDEE, etc.

My "cut" target using TDEE @ sedentary is 1810 - 15% = 1538. AP's formula puts me very close to the same place (157 * 10 = 1570). But, if I use TDEE @ 3-5 hrs/wk of exercise that = 2338 - 15% = 1987, much higher than AP's estimate.

On the other hand, for maintenance, if TDEE = 1810 @ sedentary, then I get a big gap between that and AP's formula, which puts my maintenance at 157 * 15 = 2355. But, if I calculate my TDEE @ 3-5 hrs/wk of exercise, then my TDEE = 2338... Much closer to AP's numbers.

So:

Cutting, AP = TDEE - 15% @ sedentary
    Maintenance, AP = TDEE @ 3-5 hrs/wk

That's a little wonky.

I haven't run the IPOARM numbers to compare... I've basically been using TDEE - 15% @ sedentary, letting Fitbit calc my activity level (positive or negative), and adding in exercise calories either manually (for strength training) or via HRM sync from RunKeeper (for cardio).