Sodium?

Options
DaniH826
DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
Is going over the 2500 sodium a big deal? My 2-month average is about 3000. I did a quick peek at my journal and found some of the harder hitters so I'll see if I can find some better alternatives.

What's your take on that, generally speaking? I did a forum search and came up empty (mostly white noise as usual and a bunch of conflicting information). Unfortunately I can't do specific group post searches (wish we could). Apologies if this is redundant. If y'all have a thread already or links to trusted resources, just point me there and I'll read up. I work in the medical field and am privy to a lot of reports from that angle and have a hard time buying into sodium demonization.

I don't have any medical issues in general or with high blood pressure (that's always been in the healthy range), my kidneys are fine and my blood tests are always dandy. I guess they consider me "healthy" at my doctor's office, for what that's worth.

No need to hurry responding. It'll keep. Thanks!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The only real issue (which is not really an issue) is water retention (assuming that you are not going totally crazy with the salt).
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Hey thanks for the quick response!

So if I'm not a fan of that (I notice it here and there, especially since I started lifting, but it's more annoying than alarming), cut the sodium? Up the water intake? Both?

Wasn't really an issue before weight training, honestly. Except TOM bloating. Such fun being a woman sometimes ...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Increasing your potassium will help mitigate the sodium to a degree.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Increasing your potassium will help mitigate the sodium to a degree.

My husband suggested the same thing, so thanks for the confirmation! I'm still fairly new to weight training and the things my body does as a result.

Feel free to close, that's all I needed. :smile:

Thanks, and enjoy your holiday weekend!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sodium 'bloat' is really a different thing than the water retention you get from lifting, which is glycogen and water in the muscle itself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking thread - PM if you need to open.
This discussion has been closed.