Anybody else need fiber supplements with medifast?

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
I really hate the "medifarts". I tried miralax, and it was great because I could not tell it was there in my water bottle. but I guess you aren't supposed to use that more than once in a while. Are there others that don't get all goopy like Metamucil?

Replies

• dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I have used Benefiber in the past. It was more for the general benefit of fiber not really the gas part. i found limiting my MF bar consumption got rid of the gassy feeling.

I use Flax meal now as there are far more health benefits than straight fiber
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Medifast has tons of fiber on its own. I found that I haven't needed any fiber supplements. My coach said that you won't go as much because you are consuming less fat.
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    This is from the MF support forums. Let's go right to the source!

"Keep in mind, it is reasonable to have less out-put (bowel patterns) if you are having significantly less in-put but if we are not simply talking about volume and frequency but also consistency then you will want to read this information:

Constipation is not uncommon and can be attributed to many factors including a low fiber diet, physical inactivity and certain medications. According to the Food & Medication Interaction manual, some medications can cause constipation.

In terms of the Medifast 5&1 plan -- bowel patterns may change while on plan because you’re not consuming as much - not so much going in, not a lot will come out…and it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re constipated. Everyone has a different normal pattern, from every day to 2-3 times a week.

Here are a few suggestions to combat constipation while following the 5 & 1 plan and on pain meds:

1. Make sure you’re getting adequate fluids – plenty of water, and other non-caloric beverages. Warm fluids such as tea and coffee may help move things along.

2. Use the higher fiber allowed vegetables like broccoli, okra, spinach, turnip greens.

3. Increase your physical activity/exercise as able.

4. Include a probiotic supplement in pill form, like our Essential One: Digestive Health.

5. Make sure you are consuming adequate Healthy Fat serving(s).

6. Try other fiber sources: ground or whole flaxseed (1 tsp= 1 condiment); Citrucel caplets (contain dietary fiber); or sugar-free Metamucil/psyllium.

7. If absolutely needed an over-the-counter stool softener or laxative may be used (based upon personal choice and medical history) although be aware the bowels can become accustomed to these products and are not recommended for long-term use.

If necessary, you may also want to consult with your physician to see if he/she has a recommended bowel regimen to assist with bowel regularity or an over the counter fiber supplement. "
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Well, I think that I feel better overall with miralax. Otherwise, I am really stinky gassy and backed up. Can't do that at work in my cube! This seems to really help. I ordered the digestive health stuff in my next order. But this seems to work well for me
  • bar403
    bar403 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Last night (day 5 on the plan for me) was my first experience with the "medifart" (that made me LOL at my cube!). My husband walked into the kitchen right after and was like "OMG! Was that YOU?!?" He started the plan yesterday so I'm sure his will be worse but OMG I can't do that at work!!! LOL

Anyways, I'm not having any constipation problems - I'm going almost every day. My health coach did suggest Smooth Move Tea if to help keep you regular.
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    Oh my god. Thank you so much for eat least saying that it is not just me. I have to actually keep air freshener in my desk for emergencies.
  • Stacivogue
    Options
    And wait until your dog eats a bar. It's unholy.
  • bar403
    bar403 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!