Lifting for beginners - women

Options
Hi all,

I started EM2WL 1 June 2012. I am currently doing insanity and will be finished my Friday next week. However, I want to start lifting.

I have 2 4kg dumbbells at home and have wrote out a plan to lift, using different body parts on different days. I am joining a new gym with my cousin in 2 weeks so I was wondering if someone could give me some direction as to what the best machines/equipment is to use? My goal is to get as strong and as lean as possible and I go on holiday on 1 June 2013 so once I get in the gym I will have 7 weeks to make some changes to my body. Do you think this is possible?

Thanks

Kels

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As a beginner to strength training it is generally recommended to follow a total body routine around 3 times per week (i.e. working all main muscle groups each workout). here is a good basic routine that covers the main compound lifts:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner-fullbody-workout.html

Start light to make sure you get your form right. Ask a trainer at the gym if there's one available and there are loads of YouTube videos on good form you can watch to help learn good form. Once you've got that down should should be able to quickly progress with the compound moves, adding weight each workout.

As a newbie you may see a small amount of muscle growth within the first couple of months of lifting even if you're eating at a deficit. After this you would need to eat at TDEE or above to see further muscle growth but you can still increase strength while lifting and eating at a deficit to drop body fat while maintaining the muscle you already have.

Most people can make good strength gains doing a full body routine for around their first 6 months of lifting, after which you most people break it down into different body parts on different days.

Eating at a deficit and lifting you should see some physical improvements and may well see some inch loss in the 7 weeks you have before your holiday. Take some before pictures and progress picture every month or so as this really helps to see any differences.

Enjoy your move into the realm of lifting! You'll never look back :wink:
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what your goal is. Strong and lean as possible can vary from person to person.
    If you want to get stronger, do more weights less reps. If you want to get lean, do less weights more reps. That's the basic. Machines and weights depend on your body. I can use machines that my sister-in-law can't because she has body injuries that I don't. She can lift weights that I can't because she's stronger in some areas that allow her to do them in different angles.

The best body parts to target for loosing weight are back and legs.

How often do you plan on going to the gym on a weekly basis? I go 3x a week so I combine 2-3 body parts per workout. I used to go 5x a week and I was able to concentrate on 1-2 body parts. But you know, gas got high.

I like using machines for some workouts because they add resistance (the targeted muscles are working a bit harder)...however, some workouts are best effective using barbells and dumbbells since you have to learn how to balance them (this requires additional non-targeted muscles to work).

Always change your routine. Your body gets used to your routine quickly (I read somewhere that girls adjust quicker than boys...don't know how true this is since I don't have first hand experience on strength training as a boy). You can do the same exercises and just change the order that you do them in (this also helps in defeating boredom...if you get bored working out, chances are you won't want to go as much). You can also learn the variations of each exercise once you have the basics down. A little change can be extremely effective. If you are using a machine and you move back a bit, you can change how the machine targets your muscle. Sometimes it adds more resistance, sometime it adds resistance to the wrong muscle group.

I found that working on your core helps your balance. You can add 1-2 core exercises within each workout, if you have time. My favorite is the plank since it works just about every body part.

Don't be afraid to eat! Carbs, fat and protein (carbs give you energy, good fat helps you burn bad fat, protein fuels your muscles) are all necessary nutrients you must get into your system when you start working out. Drink a lot of water to keep your body hydrated. I don't know what your calorie intake is, but don't be afraid to mess around with your numbers. Every body works differently. I find that I personally need to eat more when I work on back then when I work on any other body part. I have a goal on what I should be reaching but I don't fret so much on passing it or not hitting it (I don't need to go so hardcore right now). I'm recovering from the cold so I need to eat a lot more now since I stopped going to the gym for 2 weeks to recover.

Good luck, seriously. It sounds easy in theory but everything pretty much affects your workouts. Your eating, your environment, your mood, your mentality for that day, your workout buddies (which by the way, is a great idea...especially if you need a spotter), the time of day you are working out....seriously, it's hard work.

If you need a friend to help you in your journey (or give advice based on experience) feel free to add me. I know how hard it can be. Remember, have a goal...have an inspiration (that way you can have a visible goal to aim for, but be realistic)...and most importantly, have fun. :smile:
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    You wont regret making the switch to weight lifting. I know many people have raved about results they have gotten from "new rules of lifting for women". I have read it and it totally makes sense but personlly just not my "style"... if there is such thing as a workout style. I would personally recommend looking on bodybuilding.com. click on find program and then female and so on. Great, simple and effective programs.
  • kels136
    kels136 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying!!! You all have some excellent ideas and information which I need as a beginner.

I am joining the gym with my cousin so we will be going together 3-4 times a week at first and then once we get confident in our routine/going to the gym again we can hopefully add another day when we both can go or go on our own.

I will have a look at the programs you have mentioned.

I will also add you if you dont mind?

I have seen women get insane results through lifting alone so I know it works and now I want some of those results :)

I am currnetly logging my food down half way between BMR and TDEE and then adding in my execise calories and eating those back too. Basically im trying to eat very clean - no caffiene, refined sugar, alcohol or processed foods.

One of my MFP friends told me to follow the shopping list on MuffinTop-Less website and its really good so I have stocked up my fridge and cupboards with all clean foods.

I honestly cant wait to start lifting, I am going to take pictures next weekend before I join the gym the weekend after and then again after 4 weeks of being at the gym so will post pics on here :)
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    Awesome! Yes, I just accepted your friend request! Can't wait to see progress photos. :smile:
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    This is great info. I've just recently started moving into weights too and every little bit of info helps. Thanks!