Has NROL4W affected your RUN?

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
Hi all,

My running seems so much harder lately! I'm 3/4 of the way through stage 2 and my run yesterday was so hard.... my legs just feel like lead! I try to run once a week (8 - 10kms) and it seems to have become progressively harder. Anyone have any ideas/ tips/ reasons why this might be the case?

Jo

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I just read on marks daily apple about overtraining and that is a side effect. May or may not apply to you though.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overtraining/#ixzz2J5Xvv25S

(Thanks Becky for sharing the link)
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No tips. But I definitely feel the same. Any cardio but especially running is feeling more difficult namely because my legs feel heavier...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I run while doing NROL4W. I just started stage two, but I have split my running up even more. My schedule currently looks like this:

Mon: 2 Mile Run (short run)
    Tues: S2WA + 1 mile recovery run
    Wed: 2 mile Run (short run)
    Thursday: S2WB
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3 mile run (long run)
    Sunday: off

I am working on adding milage to my weekly running. I would consider breaking up that distance if you can and scatter it through out the week. As you work your calf muscles and they get stronger, yes it will seem like it is getting harder to run.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind though, I am trying to get up to 25-30 miles week base on top of lifting. So my runs will progressively get longer.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    back when I was primarily running for exercise, my lifting really affected my running: ran slow and felt tired. However, now I am balancing a lot of different types of working out and everything seems to be improving together. Rest days are very important. maybe you want to do lift/rest/run/lift/rest/run.

have you just noticed this in stage 2, or have you felt like this since starting NROLFW?
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm running 30 miles a week and I'm almost done with stage 2 - I do have my days where my legs feel heavy but I find its based on not eating enough the prior day - make sure you are getting enough in your body so that you have energy.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I initially felt that way but I did notice improvement when I focused more on how/what I was fueling my body with. I personally think it's helping my running endurance-wise.

Keep at it and rest your body if you need it and fuel yourself correctly. See how it goes from there.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you make sure you are getting enough to eat to fuel your body. I have honestly felt my running got better with lifting. As I got stronger it got somewhat easier to run. As long as I am getting enough calories and especially protein.

I am shifting things as it is getting warmer out, I am only an outside runner really, and am going to be lifting only twice a week while running 3-4 times(my goal anyway). with at least one to two rest days in there. tweaking my schedule starting this week so we shall see. I had been lifting M/W/F and then running Sat/Sun with Tu/Th being my rest days.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've just started stage 2 and have found my running has become faster since starting lifting. I put it down to having more leg strength. Interesting to see some people have found a decline. I only workout 3/4 days a week tho so maybe that is the reason.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I personally have seen a marked improvement in my running since I started lifting. It seems easier and I've really improved my time. I only run up to a 5k though so I'm not sure what longer distances would be like.
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I feel my runs are much more sluggish, but I don't think I can contribute it to NROLFW. I cut my miles down and do interval sprints instead, and they leave me feeling so drained rather than energized afterwards.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... a real mixed bag of responses!

Thanks though to all who replied. I don't think I'm undereating - I'm not losing any weight (have gained since starting this programme). It may be about getting enough rest.... I am working out 6 days a week. Although, I'm still seeing a weight gain, which does not motivate me to rest!! Hmmmm. Will have to juggle things about I suppose