Help! No idea how to survive eating at a resort for a week!

Options
snowangeljo
snowangeljo Posts: 11 Member
I am going on vacation in a couple days and we will be staying in an all inclusive resort. I am worried that eating restaurant food fopr a week is going to reverse my progress. I am going to do my best to control my portions but i was wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions? i.e. foods to avoid because they are deceptively fatty and such. Thanks :)

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of fruit and veggies, hopefully there will be grilled or baked options for meat, allow yourself a treat or two, but more importantly have a great time.
  • BeingAFitFoodie
    BeingAFitFoodie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey I know how you feel! I went on vacation for a week with my family a couple of years ago, and I felt just as worried as you are. Try to mostly stick to fruits and veggies like it was previously mentioned, and also try to find some protein to keep you filling full for a longer period of time. I also agree that you are on vacation, so definitely don't forget a treat! (or two or three...haha). Oh and water helps to keep your metabolism up! If you drink at least 5 glasses a day, especially one first thing in the morning, your body's metabolism will be higher, and will burn off those extra calories much better than otherwise! Have fun!! :)
  • Redptlmtd
    Redptlmtd Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't forget to stay active!! Lots of swimming or a run on the beach!! I agree, have a great time!!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a week-long cruise last weekend. I was having serious anxiety over un-doing the hard lost 4 lbs. The great thing about buffet-style food is that there are usually a fair number of healthy options. You won't be able (nor should you) track every calorie, but you know what's good. Anything with a cream sauce is probably high fat and calories. There is often a salad bar, so fill up on that (with light dressing) before tackling the main course.

Alcohol can be your worst enemy if you imbibe. Empty calories and lowered self-control, although isn't that what a vacation's all about" I'm not a drinker, so it wasn't a problem for me. I spent all of my time trying to limit my number of trips to the self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine. I gained 2.5 lbs, but it has only taken me 4 days to get back to my pre-trip weight, so most of it was just water, I'm guessing.

Try to stay active. Walk whenever possible (and when safe), swim rather than just lounging on the beach and try something new and fun! I was on a ship, so I took the stairs everywhere. I was actually sore after the first day.

Most of all, have a great time and don't worry. Even if you fall off the wagon, you will hop right back on when you get home...and if you're like me, your body will appreciate the break from the gym.