Can you do this program without a gym?

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
A friend asked me this question and I'm only on stage one so I thought I'd ask it here hoping to get replies from others who have been doing the program for a while.

Thank you!

Replies

• Kelwats27
    Options
    Yeah I'm up to stage 4 an never used a gym just need the right equipment
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm up to stage 4 an never used a gym just need the right equipment

What equipment is needed? Thanks for answering BTW, I really appreciate it!:smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

What equipment is needed? Thanks for answering BTW, I really appreciate it!:smile:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs.
    * Full set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Full set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding, you'll need one)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform with multiple risers; or you could just use the bench but due to the padding it's not as stable. But hey, you're working your core (balance) more!
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar (used in Stage 6 which is optional)
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great question! I've been winding this myself. I just got the book and about to sit down and read through it. I hope to avoid the gym membership, but if I must, I must!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people finding eqpmt on Craig's list, yardsales, etc. I'm hoping to luck up on it...not that I could carry it away. LOL Thanks for the detailed list!
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs.
    * Full set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Full set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding, you'll need one)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform with multiple risers; or you could just use the bench but due to the padding it's not as stable. But hey, you're working your core (balance) more!
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar (used in Stage 6 which is optional)
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide limited alternatives if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

I'm just starting stage 5 and I have never had to go to the gym. From the list above, I would say that depending on how strong you are, you might not actually need an olympic barbell. I have been using my brother's old weight bench with standard barbell and 110lbs of weight plates and have been fine so far.

For the dumbbells, you might consider getting those nifty ones that have changeable weight plates. I found that I 'outgrew' my dumbbell set pretty fast and would have been better off just buying the changeable ones in the first place.

A squat rack would be soooo nice to have, but I didn't want to shell out the $500 for one. Thankfully, I am short enough that I can squat down under the barbell when it is on the weight bench rack, so that could be an option. If you are not short, then yeah, you pretty much are going to need one if you want to make progress with your squats. Craigslist, maybe?

The adjustable cable pulley station isn't really necessary either. I got a cheap set of resistance bands and a chin-up/pull-up bar instead and do the alternates. (ex. Instead of lat pulldowns, I do pull-ups - I can almost do 1 unassisted already and I haven't even started stage 6!).