bummed out!

Options
Ugh! i was doing great! I started noticing inches lost.. but then Easter came! and IT WAS over!! I have ate so much and feel really bloated! I was on day 7 of Level 2 last Wednesday! but took a mini Shredcation for 4 Days! I'm thinkin of just re-starting Level 2...
:(

Replies

• Mrsjaybob
    Mrsjaybob Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, it won't take your body long to get rid of Easter dinner! You can do it!
  • librah1075
    Options
    thank you! I will!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Here is a piece of a great article about dealing with holiday weight gain:

9. Stay Off the Damn Scale
    No matter what happens, folks often see the scale spike up after a big party; this is especially true after Thanksgiving. The typical carb-depleted trainee is especially prone to this; the high-carb intake of your typical holiday event along with extra sodium both can jack up scale weight a bit. But you know deep down it’s not really fat. The simple fact is that, unless you go nuts, you can’t eat enough in a single meal to put on appreciable fat. It’s only water and it’ll come right back off in a few days.
    But stay off the scale anyhow.

10. Don’t Be Your Own Worst Enemy
    This goes back to what I alluded to in point 1, a lot of people fall into a dreadful trap over the holidays, figuring that if they’ve eaten a little bit of junk food, clearly they’ve blown it and might as well retire to the corner with the entire tray of fudge and eat themselves sick.
    I’m going to quote from the foreword of my own A Guide to Flexible Dieting here:
    Then the problem hits. Maybe it’s something small, a slight deviation or dalliance. There’s a bag
    of cookies and you have one or you’re at the mini mart and just can’t resist a little something that’s not on your diet. Or maybe it’s something a little bit bigger, a party or special event comes up and you know you won’t be able to stick with your diet. Or, at the very extreme, maybe a vacation comes up, a few days out of town or even something longer, a week or two. What do you do?

Now, if you’re in the majority, here’s what happens: You eat the cookie and figure that you’ve blown your diet and might as well eat the entire bag. Clearly you were weak willed and pathetic for having that cookie, the guilt sets in and you might as well just start eating and eating and eating.

Or since the special event is going to blow your diet, you might as well eat as much as you can and give up, right? The diet is obviously blown by that single event so might as well chuck it all in the garbage.

Sound familiar? Yeah I thought it might. The above is amazingly prevalent and exceedingly destructive. Extremely rigid dieters fall into a trap where they let events such as the holidays become a problem because of their own psychology. They figure that one piece of dessert has ruined all of their hard efforts so they might as well eat ALL the dessert. Which is, of course, nonsense. Say that piece of dessert has a few hundred calories, or say 500 calories. In the context of a weekly plan that is calorie controlled with training, that’s nothing.
    Unless the person lets it become something. They figure 500 calories is the end of the world and eat an additional 5000 calories. Instead of just taking it in stride and realizing that it’s not big deal, they make it a big deal with their own reaction.
    Simply, don’t do that. Realize that there is only so much damage you can do in the short-term. Apply the other strategies in this article and realize, at the end of the day, what you did for one meal that week simply doesn’t matter if the rest of the week was fine. Not unless you make it.

Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/10-tips-to-deal-with-holiday-weight-gain.html
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Sleepless...What a great, common sense post! I know we all have that little demon in our heads that says, "You blew it so go ahead and give up." When you realize, as you said, that one day or even one week, won't totally ruin your efforts unless you allow it, you're speaking to many of the yo-yo folks. It's a convenient excuse that many grasp on to in order to give up. I wish, for everyone on here, that they'd see they aren't alone in thinking like this and can get past that few minutes of "failure" and keep going.
  • librah1075
    Options
    thank you soooo much for that!! it totally describes me... I eat a cupcake and somehow convince myself, that my diet is now ruined why not have a burger and fries for dinner... then I go on a 4 day eating rampage!
    I appreciate your time in posting this because I can relate! you guys are right a few extra calories will Not ruin my efforts UNLESS I let it! thank you so much this has really helped and clicked in my brain!
    :flowerforyou: