Gel Packs for a full?

Options
sammielealea
sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
How many gel packs do you typically consume before and during a full??

Replies

• josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’ll tell you what I DON’T: Anything different than what I’ve done during training. If they are handing out GU’s, and I’ve only trained with Hammergels, I don’t use the GU. But:

Day of race, I usually take a gel at the starting line. Then, every 45-60 minutes. Try to time them right before a water stop.

Instead of a gel, I like to get a package of gummies (Chomps, etc) that I bust open around mile 5. I can make those last for about 2-3 miles. I don’t like to carry them very far as since they are a little bulkier than gel so I use them early.

Towards the end of a full, I have gotten desperate (probably as a result of low glycogen aka The Wall) and tried to “refuel” by eating a few more gels than I should. This is a MISTAKE and should be avoided! Talk about stomach problems… ouch.
  • sammielealea
    Options
    Thanks :) The reason I'm asking is because I use them, I like them, but yesterday I heard that my cousin's husband (marathoner and triathlete) takes them every 20 mins or so . . . wondering if I should try taking them more often these next few weeks before the race. I have been taking one before and one every 45 mins or so . . .
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You won't know unless you experiment. Test during one of your long training runs. Every 20 minutes would be way too much for me. I can hardly choke down a couple of those things during a marathon.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I take one at 6 miles and every 4 miles after that. I ran 18 miles this weekend and that seemed to work out well for me.
  • Kubiastic
    Kubiastic Posts: 20
    Options
    I take one around Mile 7, a power bar 14-16, and then another gel around 20.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Answer: whatever works best for in your training! FWIW - every 20 minutes sounds terrible to me.
  • sammielealea
    Options
    I did two 34km runs in the past few weeks and I changed it up and took my first gel pack at the 40 minute mark and took one every half hour thereafter. I have to say that I really saw an improvement in my performance, and it didn't seem to effect my stomach/digestion at all. The only thing that stinks is actually having to carry all of those gel packs! Haha! So happy now . . . Have a great game plan for race day!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely whatever works for you / whatever you figure out by experimenting during training. That being said, for my full, I took one 15 mins prior to my start, and then one every 3 miles or so (which is basically the spacing of the water stops on a typical course). This is way more than most people seem to take, but it was what the exercise physiologist I was working with recommended I try during training and I still have yet to make the wall's acquaintance, so I stuck with it, since it worked for me!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • sammielealea
    Options
    ^^ Good to know, thanks for sharing! Happy running to you too!
  • meow_meow_meow
    meow_meow_meow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tina. I ran the 2011 Paris marathon and used Lucozade gels (safety pinned to my top!) about every 45 minutes which worked ok for me. You can have them more frequently but I really dislike the sweet taste! Make sure you practice with them first though to avoid any tummy upsets on the day :)
  • watsdd
    watsdd Posts: 21
    Options
    A few Clif blocks before and 1 gel ever hour after. However I will say from the marathon and the gels my stomach sucked after it. No runners trots thank God, but the sweetness made the thought of them at the later stages hard to deal with.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    While I was at the expo for my last half I found a gel squeeze container that held 4 gel packs. It was a pain to squeeze that stuff out initially, but I added just a bit of water to the mix, shook it up, and it worked GREAT! The bonus was that I didn't have to mess with tearing open the packs and getting my fingers all sticky. I'll be using that running gadget again! :-)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    This is a calculator to help you figure out how many gels and how often based on your weigh and speed. Its from the GNC website and they sell gel so they might not be completely biased but its good place to start.

http://www.carbboom.com/Clients/Carbboom/CBcms.nsf/content/marathoncalculator

That being said, I prefer shot Bloks but they can get too sweet and make my mouth feel sticky especially on hot days. I am terrible about fueling during runs and some times only eat 3 blocks (equivalent to 1 gel) during the course of an entire 18 miler. Gels are really hard for me to get down though. They make me want to gag. Ugh.

ETA: I might have to try a gel container - I think part of the problem is that gel packs are too much for me to swallow quickly but such a pain to carry around once open so you really have to get the whole thing down fast.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    We are all different. What works for me, may not work for you. For starters, I'm not a gel person. I prefer Sharkies or Sport Beans myself. I find the consistency of most gels makes me gag.

My normal ritual is to consume a package of Gatorade Pre Game Race fluid 10 minutes before race time. I then alternate water\Gatorade at the aid stations. That tends to be enough for hydration. It is helpful if you know how to drink on the run (i.e. fold cup and funnel into the mouth)

For energy, I'll consume a 2-3 Sport Beans at each aid station. Just enough to chew on while running... not so much that it impacts breathing. That normally works out to a package or two during a half marathon. ( I typically have all my packaging open before the race... sweaty fingers can make opening packages tricky for these Homer Simpson type fingers).

Most important is to train with what you know and don't try anything new 24-48 hours before race time.... I've seen people blow up their digestion by sampling things at the race expo.... That Great New Green Kelp Extract goo you try at the Expo today could be upsetting your bowels tomorrow! Last place you want a PB is running is to the bathroom!

I'm a bit of a Clydesdale runner ( 5'11 and 227... ) My nutritional needs will be different than someone who is 5' tall and 100 lbs.
    Experiment during training...and go with what you know works for you!

Good Luck!