Stronglifts 5X5/sore/workout anyway?

Options
prattiger65
prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
I started Stronglifts 5X5 yesterday and being the marshmallow that I am, my legs are pretty sore today. I was gonna do a cardio workout today. Go ahead? What about tomorrow, do I squat again tomorrow if I am still sore. I am a marshmallow, but I am not a sissy, I CAN do it...but should I?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I'd say just squat through it tomorrow. Especially if it's just the typical pain/tightness in the hamstrings or quadracep muscle soreness that comes from squats.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    if you wanna squat, squat
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would do it. I lift 4x a week and usually am sore depending on the day. I find working out actually helps the soreness!

However, if it's causing extreme pain and you know something is wrong, stop so you do not injure yourself.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    If it's just a case of DOMS then just work through it....chances are the workout will help with the soreness. If anything has to go because of being sore, then turf the cardio so that you are still in good form to lift tomorrow.

Enjoy the DOMS while it lasts!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio on stronglifts 5x5, keep it low intensity or fairly short in duration. You want to be using cardio as a recovery tool, not as a workout that is going to tax you.

Foam roll, eat for recovery, take contrast showers, etc. Do what you have to do to recover so you can do your next workout. You're going to be sore from squatting 3x per week, get used to it and learn how to keep the discomfort to a minimum.

My hips and low back were pretty beat up during 5x5, just stick with it and focus on recovering on your off days.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would skip the cardio today and focus on recovery. Do your SL workout as normal tomorrow.

I just began the Starting Strength program, and not working out on off days, as suggested in the book.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just echo'ing the others. Do some active recovery tomorrow like walking or other low intensity activity.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking as I think (hope) you have got some decent input and to help us track open/active threads better. If you want to add anything, please PM either myself or SideSteel, including the link, and we will reopen.
This discussion has been closed.