Best stretches for calves?

Options
karenhray7
karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
So I started the c25k last week and I'm still struggling to make it through the first workout. I feel like such a wimp! I figured out that the shim splints aren't an issue if I'm running/walking outside, but my calves! You know that feeling where your muscles start to seize up and you can feel the charlie horse crap coming on? That's what I end up with after the first couple of running minutes. I've slowed down considerably, and now I'm walking faster than I'm running. *facepalm*

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me make it through the first freaking workout? I have crazy muscular legs, but have never ever ever ever been anything close to a runner. I take that back-there was that one time I ran back in college, but that involved underage drinking and police...

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running slower than you walk is GREAT! It will really help you get through the program. I'm absolutely serious. This is an important skill.

I work out charlie horses by pushing against the floor with my toes. Try doing a stretch after your first warm-up walk. Also, are you eating enough potassium?

Great job for starting the program! You'll get it in your own time - don't judge yourself against what you think other people are doing. You have the rest of your life to run after finishing C25k. Why hurry your progress?
  • karenhray7
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input. I'm so glad my zombie-paced running is a good thing! And thank you for the stretching tip. I suppose I can do that 5-minute warm-up walk however many times I need to until I'm good and ready to start the running part. Thanks again!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The polite term on THIS board is "turtle-paced" LOL. Just kidding. Your body just needs time to adjust to the new demands. You'll be fine.

Actually, another question: what size are your shoes? They should be a least a half size bigger than your street size, otherwise they can cause all sorts of funky issues as your body tries to protect your toes.
  • karenhray7
    Options
    I'm good for shoes. I started perusing some of the c2k5 posts before I started and noticed that EVERYONE mentioned shoes. I went to an actual running store and was taken care of quite well. I really love my shoes!

And thanks for the tip on terminology-I think I have zombies on the brain after Sunday night t.v.:smile: