Running is so mental! Tips for first 5K...

bttrthanevr
bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
I have been feeling intimidated as my first 5K race approaches. My #1 concern is not if i will finish...I will. I know that. I just don't want to be dead last. HUGE FEAR. I found a really really great tip tonight that gave me some confidence back. I looked up the order of finish results for last year's race. Guess what??? There were at least 50 or more people that are slower than I am right now. One of them happened to be my CEO! LOL! I feel much better. Probably most of those people are now faster, but there will be a brand new crop of newbies, myself included, and I now believe I will not be dead last!!! Whew!

Any other confidence boosting tips that anyone has to share would be much appreciated!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I think that, after your 5k, you should drop by your CEO's office and happen to mention that this was your first 5k and your time. You'll gain a minute or two a mile in the race and you're already pretty fast for your level, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    I did my first 10k fun run 2 yers ago. I had the same fear. The point of just finishing was amazing. Some people run some jogged and most walked. Its about completing and the feeling at the end. The crowds were so surportive..You will be more than ok....
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    I did my first 10k fun run 2 yers ago. I had the same fear. The point of just finishing was amazing. Some people run some jogged and most walked. Its about completing and the feeling at the end. The crowds were so surportive..You will be more than ok....

I hope you are right! I live in a small town so I will know many many people who are running. No anonymity!

However, I have found that whether I was slogging it out on the Y track or running the streets, every runner I have met has been encouraging and welcoming. And it seems everyone has a "birth" story to share. I love being part of such a supportive community.