Halfway through Whole30 and experiencing bloating...help?

Options
So I am wrapping up day 17 of my first whole30 and have had an amazing experience this far. However, the past 3-4 days have been a little "off" in the bathroom (sorry TMI) and yesterday and today I am bloated as in I could have a human being in my tummy. I have been 100 compliant with my foods. Anyone have ideas? I believe my diary is open if you want to see my meals. Wondering if its too much protein, too many veggies, or just something that has to run its course. Thanks!

Replies

• PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same thing halfway through my whole 30. For me, it was due to a bit too much protein.

I added a little more sweet potato and went back to 2 fruit servings a day and all went well. I also take probiotics supplements and natural calm (magnesia) at night. You can also try digestive enzymes. It would be a temporary supplement to help your stomach adjust.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's likely a side effect of detox. Have you checked the Whole9 forums for anyone else who has experienced similar symptoms?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary - Is it possible you haven't been eating enough fat?
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    In the book "It Starts With Food", they tell you that you may experience some stomach discomfort ( I was fortunate that I didn't) due to your body readjusting it's stomach lining. It also happened to my sister. Keep going, perhaps add a little more sweet potato or fruit for a few days.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Brassicas give me trouble too (too much broccoli, cauliflower, etc). I had a terrible painful problem last year and someone turned me on to fermented foods. Fermented foods like real sauerkraut (not the crap in the grocery store relish aisle) help repopulate your gut with friendly bacteria, which help to break down the foods you eat. An overgrowth of unfriendly bacteria/ yeasts can cause a lot of bloat. I recommend making your own, or look for RealPickle in your health food store. Some good books to check out are Wild Fermentation or anything by Sally Fallon (Nourishing Traditions). I absolutely adore the ginger carrots and put them on my salads.
    Oh, and water water water...
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Soooo... I want to amend my original answer.
    At weeks 2-3, I was suffering from my IBS worse than I ever had before. I started researching the things I was reacting to and discovered Fructose Malabsorption (FM). I incorporated the FODMAPs elimination diet into the Whole 30 and within a day I was better, and within 3 days I lost bloat that I'd been fighting for years!!!! I can't believe how different I look!
    :D
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OK, so the usual TMI disclaimer:

I did a quick breeze through a few of your days. I'd like to commend you on being far more strict and really eating in an appropriate way. You'd be horrified what some "paleo" folk eat.

Two things:

I personally avoid fruit. Sugar bombs that you just don't need. But if you insist on having them (or even that squash), NEVER in the morning, and ideally only post-workout.

I have throughout my life been very "regular", even when I ate a crummy diet. I have gone through phases of even a few days where I was off. It's normal. We're dynamic systems. As a bonus, some of the time I would guess it was some kind of fat/oil flush, and that's a good thing.