Darn that macro ratio!!

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been doing keto for about 2 months now, but haven't been super strict up until now.

What I mean is, I have been keeping my carbs to under 20-30g a day BUT I haven't been calorie counting AND I have been neglecting that ever important macro nutrient ratio (fat 65/protein 30/carbs 5).

Now that I have started paying attention to calories/ratio and logging in my food..I realized how difficult it is (at least for me) to hit this ratio and stay within my daily calorie limit!

So I thought I'd ask this community, what are some good foods/meals/etc that can help one reach the 65/30/5 ratio?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't. I focus on getting my base protein, and to maximize my fat while keeping my carbs in that 20-30 g range. For me personally, my blood ketones measure better when I follow more of a 75-20-5 macro, so most days, I just try to ensure that fat is high while protein is kept in check. I really wouldn't stress hitting that exactly. Too much carbs is bad (we know that). Too much protein can be a problem (excess protein can convert to glucose). Too much fat will only help get you deeper into ketosis, and be more satiating.

That's my philosophy anyway. I really recommend blood ketone testing, as it will help you better understand how your body is responding. My husband for example showed positive on Ketostix doing 65-30-5, but using blood ketone testing, he showed very, very low levels of ketones. He has to boost his fat targets way up to maintain ketosis. We found the problem was heavy protein consumption - sometimes even the macros for the day looked okay, but a single meal that was very heavy on protein, but light on fat, could cause the problem. But, we are all different.

(Also - for your original question, it might help to understand if your issue is too much fat / not enough protein, or too much protein/ not enough fat).
  • songbird2488
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!

I think I just don't have enough fat in my diet! :/ It's hard to get into the mindset that fat is good. I'm used to buying low fat everything!
    I will try to up the amount I eat.
    I do have coconut oil which I heard is good, and I can try incorporating it into my meals.

Also, I will look into blood testing for ketones; I only have the ketostix now.

Again, thanks for the info!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We've started drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning. My version is about 300 calories with 97% fat. it's a great way to boost! Also try a fat bomb for snacking instead of lower fat snacks. pecans and macadamia nuts are both high fat nut options. And make sure are using the full fat versions of cheese, salad dressings, sour cream, etc. Fat satiates. When you boost this further, you'll see your hunger drop further.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The bulletproof coffee every morning has really helped me. (To make mine, I use: 16 ounce coffee, 2 TBSP half-and-half, 1 TBSP Kerrygold Irish butter, 2 TBSP MCT oil -- which is derived from coconut oil.) In addition, I add some cheese to lunch and/or dinner (or even a cheese stick as a snack) and I make sure I cook with butter or olive oil. Adding these fats in here and there throughout my day has really helped me get enough fat in.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fats are fun! But it's definitely a mental shift from the X amount of years we've been taught they are bad. I too do a bulletproof coffee in the morning. I always have fat bombs on hand too. Dana Carpender's Fat Fast Cookbook is a great tool loaded with high fat recipes that are so very yummy. You can find it here: http://alturl.com/7hawh