Opinions please

Options
I did low carb awhile back and dropped weight without even trying. Fast forward to now. I just turned 42. I started low carb in January. (just started recording on MFP in March) It is coming off VERY slowly. (maybe 10lbs) I will say I am new to actually recording and accounting for everything. I'm sure the slow part is due to my age. Anyways after doing a lot of reading on here I think I need to up the fat and maybe lower protein? or just keep doing what I'm doing? I go to the gym about 3 times a week. (30 min on treadmill 30 min on weights) I also drink a lot of water each day.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary. Overall good, but I agree that the protein may be too high.

I try to target my base grams of protein to hit, keep the carbs in the 20-30 g range, and the rest is fat. In general my fat is AT LEAST 1:1 ratio to protein, and as high as 2:1 ration for fat to protein levels. I target more of a 75-20-5 macro levels vs typical keto levels of 65-30-5.
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot of your posts and hoped you would respond. I will try to adjust and see if it helps. I will say I am very nervous about adjusting and gaining but I really want to maximize the weight loss so I'm willing to try. ;)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low. You're not giving your body enough energy and it is fighting you. You are slowing down your metabolism. You seriously need to up your calories. fat2fitradio.com has excellent TDEE and BMR calculators. Use them to determine what your TDEE and BMR are. Set your calories to no less than 20% under your TDEE and never net under your BMR.

Additionally, one of the beauties of keto is that you really don't need to watch your calories that closely. You can eat a lot of calories and still lose weight on keto.

EAT MORE. Eating less will not make you lose weight faster.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    just to add to Laura's comments. Monday especially seemed extremely low calories. Real red flag there. But further back, it looked like 1300, 1400, 1500 calories was more typical. It did seem like Monday was an anomaly. (Don't do that! Bad) :-)

The levels I saw last week looked good, but with the need to adjust protein / fat.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    just to add to Laura's comments. Monday especially seemed extremely low calories. Real red flag there. But further back, it looked like 1300, 1400, 1500 calories was more typical. It did seem like Monday was an anomaly. (Don't do that! Bad) :-)

The levels I saw last week looked good, but with the need to adjust protein / fat.
    The 1300, 1400 and 1500 calories look good until you subtract the exercise calories she burned.
  • kiramaniac
    Options

The 1300, 1400 and 1500 calories look good until you subtract the exercise calories she burned.

Jinkies! right you are. Eat up Mel! A fat bomb or two should fix you up.
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    Thank you both. I made fat bombs this evening. I will say I'm a bit nervous but I have felt like something wasn't quite right with my daily intake so I'm willing to try and adjust. I'm trusting you. ;) I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Mel
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    If you've been under eating for a lengthy period be prepared for a temporary weight gain as you metabolism readjusts to more calories. Give it a few weeks to start losing again.