standing head to knee...pointers anyone

Options
I have been practicing Bikram for about a year and still cannot do this pose. Any tips? I know it won't happen overnight, but need (ok, want) to move forward in this pose, right now I can barely grab my foot with my standing leg locked. I keep meaning to ask the teachers, but after class they are bombarded and I am ready to shower :)))

thanks in advance!

Replies

• angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with this. I need to learn how to lock my knee better for longer, I think I psych myself too much that I give up right away.
  • uberkrafty
    uberkrafty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would practice with having my leg rested on a waist-level support, e.g. the sink/desk/table. Then I'd go reach for the leg as if I'm doing the standing head to knee, this way I can focus on the body stretching to reach my leg. I realized that when I first started doing this I'm more afraid of going off balance/falling rather than focusing on stretching and reaching for the leg. I don't know if this makes a whole lot of sense but this was what I was doing and it worked for me :happy:
  • jenjoyrising
    Options
    ooh...interesting. Thanks! I will give that a try :)))
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I am not a pro at this pose yet but I have improved over the last few weeks.
    I haven't gotten my head to knee just quite but very close. haha.
    I like to make sure i'm balanced on one foot first, then grab my feet under the toes, then breathe in and as I exhale, kick my leg out.
    I've gotten to bending my elbows down to my calves and my head very close to knee. its frustrating but u just have to keep trying. i'm also interested in tips from others.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing for about 4 years and this is the pose that I have the most difficulty with. I've learned 2 things this summer:

1) since losing 40+ pounds, it's much easier for me to reach down and put my hands under my foot. My mid-section was preventing me from doing this

2) I discovered that I can practice this pose in my swimming pool ... it's helping me with my balance and my confidence
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How is your head to knee with stretching on the floor series? Those postures are intertwined. Since you mentioned that you can barely reach your foot while standing do you mean stretching it outward or grabbing it in front of you?

My suggestion is stretch harder in the floor head to knee posture. You'll get that flexibility and it will be easier when standing.

Also, I go super duper slow. I lock my knee, contract my thigh, breathe, wait, breathe, then I grab my foot and I wont extend it until I'm planted into the floor and balanced.

This is a challenging one...but practice makes perfect! Good luck!
  • jenjoyrising
    Options
    Thank you for all of the comments! I actually have trouble grabbing my toes from the word go (or interlace your fingers and grab your toes...). I think it is my tight back and hamstrings, but I carry some extra weight around my middle too. Out of class I seem to be able to be more successful...when I am just practicing this move, but I have not seen any improvement in class.

I will try some of your tips! Thanks again!
  • Eleanor8080
    Options
    I also have trouble with this pose, and I also have tight hamstrings and carry extra weight. What do you guys do when you can't achieve the full pose? Do you just keep trying to grab your foot? Some other people in my class simply hold their legs up without grabbing for the foot for the duration of the pose (maybe they're working on balance and the locked knee?). I'm not sure what to do.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Still struggling with this pose. I have great leg strength and flexibility. My issue (was and continues to be) finding BALANCE on one leg.