Hello

Options
tootoop224
tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
I just started StrongLifts on Monday and joined this group today and I just wanted to introduce myself. Tonight is my second night, and my thighs are so sore I couldn't even do a squat without any weight at all!!! I have not lifted in many many years, and even when I did, I only dabbled in it and mainly remember benching. As my bench was extremely easy day one, I just substitute that for squats tonight and hope to get back on plan Friday. I look forward to being active here and giving and getting advice and encouragement from everyone.

-Chuck

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Chuck! I never lifted weights seriously (besides a little bit with the gym machines a decade ago) in my life until Stronglifts in January. I am really enjoying the program so far.
  • crawfishag
    crawfishag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The soreness will pass. This is my fourth week back lifting and doing stronglifts. The first week my legs hurt so bad I had to grit my teeth to walk. By Thursday of the first week it started to pass and by the Monday of the second week there wasn't any soreness. I am really enjoying the program and I'm sure you will as well. Welcome to the group.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Thanks......... Look forward to "seeing" you around.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I had NEVER lifted in my life. In fact I had NEVER been in a gym I my life before I started SL5x5. I'm now on Session 18 tomorrow so the equivalent of week 6 ( I can't always fit in 3 sessions a week so for a couple of weeks I only did 2 sessions).

I haven't suffered any soreness yet and am starting to struggle with the weight on the OHP (37.5kg/83lbs). I spent the first week using an empty bar and trying to work on my form. I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos over the weeks to make sure I'm keeping the right form as the weight increases.

I've lost 10lbs in weight and 3.5 inches off my waist by eating at a calorific deficit and only using SL5x5 and I can't believe how much I enjoy picking up heavy stuff and putting it down again :-). My strength has certainly improved because when I first started I felt the bar was really heavy!! Yes, I was a complete weakling and I'm hoping that this programme will transform me from a fat, unfit, forty-something weakling into a lean, fit, young at heart strong guy. Fingers crossed.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Hi there.
    I had NEVER lifted in my life. In fact I had NEVER been in a gym I my life before I started SL5x5. I'm now on Session 18 tomorrow so the equivalent of week 6 ( I can't always fit in 3 sessions a week so for a couple of weeks I only did 2 sessions).

I haven't suffered any soreness yet and am starting to struggle with the weight on the OHP (37.5kg/83lbs). I spent the first week using an empty bar and trying to work on my form. I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos over the weeks to make sure I'm keeping the right form as the weight increases.

I've lost 10lbs in weight and 3.5 inches off my waist by eating at a calorific deficit and only using SL5x5 and I can't believe how much I enjoy picking up heavy stuff and putting it down again :-). My strength has certainly improved because when I first started I felt the bar was really heavy!! Yes, I was a complete weakling and I'm hoping that this programme will transform me from a fat, unfit, forty-something weakling into a lean, fit, young at heart strong guy. Fingers crossed.

You are lucky. My thighs are still sore. Hoping to gertback to squats tomorrow, I've done all the upper body stuff without a problem, but those squats killed me! Good luck to you. Love your ticker pic, and Swetty's...errr Betty's logo. :laugh:

"See" ya around...

-Chuck
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I started Monday also. And OMG are my legs sore. The DL and the OHP have my upper body just a little sore. I have never lifted before so this will be interesting.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    I started Monday also. And OMG are my legs sore. The DL and the OHP have my upper body just a little sore. I have never lifted before so this will be interesting.

I am pretty sure I will win a "soreness competition". lol. I have never felt anything like it. I am just now recovered enough to try and do some squats again. Heading down now. If no one hears from me in the next 6 hours, you might want to call 911. :laugh:
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Well. I'm back. No need to call 911.

Wasn't too bad. Warmed up doing weightless squats. The first weighted (50 Lbs.) set was a little painful, but once I got through it, it got better. Noticed I was going up on my toes a bit (for balance more than anything). Does anyone know if that is proper form, or should I try to stay flat footed?

My first week of SL5x5 is behind me. My weight was all over the place during the week based on my new routine, but I was still able to lose .6 Lb', so overall, I'm pretty happy. Think I may forgo adding weight to squats and barebell rows every time as I want to get my form down and am struggling proper form. Thoughts?
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Your weight should always be in your heels and the outside of the sole of your feet, never on your toes/balls of feet. Also keep the knees from buckling in, your glutes and inner thighs/groin should be more sore than you quads if your doing it right.

Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Your weight should always be in your heels and the outside of the sole of your feet, never on your toes/balls of feet. Also keep the knees from buckling in, your glutes and inner thighs/groin should be more sore than you quads if your doing it right.

Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Thanks!! Watching vids now.