Blood sugar testing...

Options
LoveFitNation
LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
Hey - so I am not diabetic...I do believe I am insulin resistant due to my PCOS....and I am always on the verge of being prediabetic due to it all....I am trying to figure out what foods affect my body in a negative way...do any of you guys test your blood two hours after eating?? Does that give you an accurate idea of how your body did with that meal?? From everything I have read - the fasting blood work should be between 70-100 right?? I am anywhere between 93-112....if the fasting is above 125 that is when you officially have diabetes correct?!? Also an hour after eating if your blood work is below 140 then that is good and two hours after it needs to be below 120...correct?!? Say I eat rice or bread - and my numbers are higher then they should be - wouldn't that mean I am insulin resistant or prediabetic?? Sorry - I am just trying to figure out what's going on with me...

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

The vast-majority of women with PCOS are insulin-resistant, yes. Your doctor tell you the results of a C-Peptide test to get a good idea of the level of hyperinsulinemia (high insulin levels) which gives you a good idea of just how resistant you are.

Just like any diabetic, the foods that affect your body in a negative way are any and all carbohydrate, and excessive protein (which is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis).

That being said the WAY each carbohydrate item will affect you will differ based on the grams of carbohydrate in it, and your own personal "glycemic index" of how it affects YOU. Using a meter to test your carbohydrate items at various intervals will give you a good idea if you should eat or avoid a food...

The best source of carbohydrate for people with insulin-resistance and/or diabetes is non-starchy vegetables (ie: no corn, potato, parsnip, etc.) and limited lower-GI fruits such as berries and cherries. These are the carbohydrates that give us valuable nutrients, but due to their low-GI nature and low-total-carbohydrate volume, they help limit high blood glucose levels from either spikes OR lengthy duration of elevation.

Testing: Whenever I eat a new food, I test it not just after one or two hours... but roughly every 20-30 minutes after ingestion until I see my glucose normalize. Various foods have different timings of when they will peak, the duration of elevation, and the duration until normalization. This timing can be affected by content such as fiber and fat - both of which slow the digestion/absorption of carbohydrate.

Regarding fasting glucose tests - fasting readings are often the LAST to indicate diabetes, unfortunately, and should not be relied upon as indicators of overall glycemic control. Both an HbA1c test and an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) are much better indicators, with preference given to the OGTT. But yes, normal fasting readings are generally well under 100mg/dl.

As for the 140 number ... regardless of timing - whether it be one hour, two hours, 15 minutes or 3 hours and 22 minutes, you should avoid peaks above 140. Both the International Diabetes Federation and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists have position papers stating post-prandial glucose should never elevate above 140, as that's where we KNOW damage starts to occur in the body. I've personally set myself a goal of not being above 120 for post-prandial readings and have been quite successful there.

And after two hours - you should be at normal readings for the best overall glycemic control. If you're still at 120 two hours after a meal, you're elevated above normal longer than you likely want to have been.

As far as determining your pre-diabetes status- your BEST bet here is to have an oral glucose tolerance test administered. If you can't afford one - but you have access to a glucose meter and strips - you can do your own test following the steps here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php ... obviously it won't be as accurate as a lab-administered OGTT, but it's a start...
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the information!!!