DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution

Options
henschm
henschm Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone. I introduced myself in "NEW HERE" and promised I would give updates as to how the DASH diet is going for me. I have just completed week one of Phase One. I had a few slips but basically I have followed the food plan quite consistently, tweaking it here and there when needed. I have stayed away from all starches, sugars and fruits. I am eating lean protein, eggs, lots of veggies, nuts, and low fat dairy. Even though I am not a fan of artificially sweetened foods, I have added the sugar-free jello as they suggested. I miss fruit, and am sick of eggs for breakfast but I am doing as the book suggests and taking one day at a time with this Phase One of the program. It hasn't really been that difficult. The nuts can be quite caloric so you have to be careful to count the nuts as the book suggests. My biggest hurdle is drinking water. It is a struggle everyday to try and drink that darn water. I haven't really seen a decrease in my blood pressure yet but I did lose 4.4 lbs in the first week on this program and I feel GREAT!! No heartburn, no intestinal problems, my head feels clear. I have also noticed that I don't have those crazy sugar cravings that I usually can't control. I am also reading the book Wheat Belly and realize that many of these great feelings may also be from the fact I am eating no wheat due to the lack of starches in this phase. It will be interesting to see if this changes in Phase Two when I re-introduce some of the starches.
Looking forward to completing this week and moving on to Phase Two. So far, so good.

Replies

• lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update and congrats on the 4 pound weight loss!
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you monitoring your salt? That is the hardest for me, but it takes the weight off fast and your BP should go down within 7 days. The DASH low salt diet works so much better than BP pills for me and I have Malignant hypertension. My problem is that my family likes to sabotage me. They'll buy groceries before I get home and buy high fat, high salt items that I have to cook with. I do spice my foods adequately enough that they don't complain about the lack of salt.

I wish you the best!