Weight loss stalled.

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
Hi folks I am in despair! Confused and don't know what to do.

Age 54, height 5ft 3, weight about 340lb.

As I am over 200lb overweight, I thought the weight would just drop off me. But it's been very slow.

I was feeling fantastic for the first few weeks because I lost an average of 2.6lb a week from January to mid March. This was on an average of about 1800 calories and 20 to 50 carbs. My friends were projecting this forward and calculating that I would lose over 100lb in a year. Great! All I had to do was just keep on doing exactly what I was doing and the weight would continue to drop.

Not so!

I've only lost ONE pound in the last 3.5 weeks. Nothing for two weeks.

I've been feeling far too hungry to stick to 1600 calories. It was OK for the first few weeks because I was ill, doing nothing much. But since I got my appetite back and have also started moving around more, including outside in the freezing cold, I am very much hungrier. For two weeks I found myself needing 2400 to 2600 a day. But this should be OK, I thought, because my TDEE is 3000.

However, I lost no weight, so 10 days ago i decided to get really strict. 1400 calories for 5 days, during which I got increasingly hungry, and about 2000 calories for 2 days. At the end of the week I had lost no weight. But I don't know if it's the five days at 1400 which has stalled me (i.e. not eating enough?) or the two days at 2000 that has stalled me (eating too much?)

Can someone explain how, as my BMR is 2200 and my TDEE is between 2500 and 3000 (depending on my activity level), I can be maintaining on an average of 1600 calories? According to what everyone says, this simply is not possible! On this site it's often said that TDEE minus 20% will result in slow and steady loss -- that for me would be 2400 a day. So how on earth can the bigger deficit result in no weight loss?

What is more, my ketostix showed a very dark pink when I was on 1400 calories, and light pink on 2000.

I'm so depressed that I have stopped tracking or weighing/measuring my food. I have kept 100% to keto, though. I know I cannot give up, obviously I cannot go on in life weighing this much. But I just do not know what to do.

Should I just carry on eating to appetite and be patient? Or should I reduce my intake to 1400 the whole time and suffer constant hunger?

Replies

• ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have had stalls and slow loss on this journey but have a different, as long asit takes attitude which helps. I still try to tweak if and when necessary though. I'm finding keeping carbs under 25g max and fat higher than protein (70% or 75%, I forget!) helps but that's probabaly very similar to you. I think if I went over 25g carbs I'd get hunger/cravings. Hope you get it tweaked successfully! Certainly don't despair or think about giving up, it'll move sometime soonish!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging, then it's difficult to conclude that you are following "strict keto". My immediate guess would be that you are eating too much protein, and not enough fat. But again, not having detailed info on what you are consuming, this is just a guess.

Those formulas and calculations are representations based on typical people. Your actual BMR and TDEE may not be anything near what the handy formula identifies.

You identified that you lost consistently when you ate 1800 calories, with 20-50 carbs (Jan - mid March)
    Then you ate increased calories (you identify 2400-2600 cal), Lost no weight.
    Ten days ago you then stopped to 1400 calories. And then 2 days at 2000 calories.

ಠ_ಠ

Get back to basics. Log your food. Clearly 1800 calories was a good range for you, as per your info, you lost consistently when following that. Increase your fat, which should help with hunger.

You also need to set REALISTIC expectations. Maintaining the same rate of loss that you experienced in your first 2 months on keto probably isn't realistic. Getting depressed over unrealistic expectations also isn't going to help.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the first 25 pounds! You will have ups and downs so don't be discouraged.

I wouldn't be so concerned with the number of calories you are consuming. Focus on keeping the carbs low, keep the protein moderate, and eat enough fat so you don't feel hungry. If you are feeling hungry you are probably not doing these three things.

I did look at your diary for Feb 15th, and if this is representative of your average day, I think you are eating way to much protein. That much will stimulate insulin, prevent fat from being burned, and make you hungry. I would try to keep it at around 100gms

A couple of more suggestions based on that day
    - Eliminate all fruit for now
    - Think of your carbohydrates (which should be mostly non-starchy vegetables) as a way to eat enough fat. Examples - steamed broccoli with heavy cream and butter, vegetable stir fry with lots of olive oil, a big salad with lots of fatty (check the label!) salad dressing and/or bacon.
    - Make sure your protein sources have a lot of fat. I would try to make sure that each serving has almost as many grams of fat as protein. Think egg-yolk omelets, some hard cheeses, ground beef, bacon, chicken wings, etc....

Keep a log to track carbs/proteins, don't worry too much about calories, and eat enough fat so that you are not hungry.

Good luck!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep going!

My advice would be to log every single day. Even bad days. Especially bad days. Add in some kind of exercise every single day even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood and I mean, not counting the normal daily activity, I mean like only counting specific time you designate for yourself for the purpose of exercise (wearing headphones and enjoying your music collection or audiobook can make the time really enjoyable "me time"). While you are doing your daily exercise time you can also think about what you want, how you plan to get there, etc. Visualization helps me a lot, not just in terms of motivation, but also in terms of preparedness. If I have a day I regret food wise I really try to break it down and think about how I can avoid this problem in the future and I try to be realistic about it. Preparing to avoid the same setback in the future doesn't mean I can never have that delicious x food again, it means that next time I'll avoid y and z food and have a smaller portion off x and I'll have x less often.

As far as calories go, I personally think it's best to just stay under the MFP recommended limit.

You can do it!
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I sent you a note with some comments. However, I'd add that if you start logging, and faithfully, not only will you be able to pick up on patterns, but your fellow MFP/ketoers might be able to provide better guidance.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Apologies in advance for this being so long, but it's good information so I hope you read it.

That being said, here goes:
    Hi folks I am in despair! Confused and don't know what to do.

Age 54, height 5ft 3, weight about 340lb.

As I am over 200lb overweight, I thought the weight would just drop off me. But it's been very slow.
    First, don't despair! There's always a way to fix a stall - it can be difficult to find, but be positive and persistent, because it does exist and will happen!

At your statistics, your BMR "should" be around 2160 calories according to the most widely-used formula. Can I ask why you're eating BELOW your BMR?
    I was feeling fantastic for the first few weeks because I lost an average of 2.6lb a week from January to mid March. This was on an average of about 1800 calories and 20 to 50 carbs...

...Can someone explain how, as my BMR is 2200 and my TDEE is between 2500 and 3000 (depending on my activity level), I can be maintaining on an average of 1600 calories?
    From a medical standpoint, based on the symptoms you mentioned, the answer is most-likely because you've affected (slowed) your metabolism by seriously under-eating.
    According to what everyone says, this simply is not possible! On this site it's often said that TDEE minus 20% will result in slow and steady loss -- that for me would be 2400 a day. So how on earth can the bigger deficit result in no weight loss?
    The body simply will not sustain the same metabolic rate when you eat under your BMR than when eating over your BMR. It's just not designed to do that. Regardless of whether you're a keto-dieter or high-carb dieter, the result of severely restricting calories longer than about 3 days is a reduction in metabolism. (*unless also getting some kind of hormone therapy... we won't get into that here though).
    What is more, my ketostix showed a very dark pink when I was on 1400 calories, and light pink on 2000.
    Repeat after me: "ketostix simply measure ketone-concentrations in the urine". :smile: Ketostix are not really a good indicator of being in nutritional ketosis - that's just not what they were designed for. Simply consuming less water will make it appear you have 'more' ketones while on the exact-same diet.

Remember, you're looking to be KETO-ADAPTED not just in ketosis. Two different things. Keto-adaptation is a binary state: You're either keto-adapted (primarily fat-burning) or your not. There's no sliding scale. Becoming keto-adapted takes time - sometimes 6 to 8 weeks of ketosis, because it requires a metabolic shift.

A better indicator than ketostix is your macronutrient profile - that's WHY it's so important to measure and log your dietary intake.

What's your macro ratio like?

If you're not eating high-fat/low-carb/moderate protein of a ratio (fat/carb/protein) around 70/5/25 you'll likely have difficulties entering ketosis.

Most people find they need at minimum 65% of their calories from fat and a maximum of 25% protein to STAY in ketosis. If you have higher dietary protein concentrations, the body will, through the process of gluconeogenesis, convert it to glucose, which makes getting/staying-in ketosis difficult in that dietary state.
    I'm so depressed that I have stopped tracking or weighing/measuring my food. I have kept 100% to keto, though. I know I cannot give up, obviously I cannot go on in life weighing this much. But I just do not know what to do.
    Please, track your food. And has been mentioned, logging it here and sharing your diary will help us to help you.
    Should I just carry on eating to appetite and be patient? Or should I reduce my intake to 1400 the whole time and suffer constant hunger?
    I would not, under any circumstances, eat 1400 calories unless you have a very serious, medically-diagnosed, thyroid impairment (or other condition that affects your metabolism.)

The amount of calories I'd eat if I were you would depend on a few factors, but I would not personally drop below my BMR except under rare circumstances...

What I found worked BEST for me (we're all different) when I was quite obese (350lbs) was to find my "healthy-weight" BMR, and eat THAT amount PLUS 2/3 of my activity calories. For me that was:

* Obese BMR (350lb): 2,900 kcal
    * Healthy-weight BMR: 2,030 kcal

So on a day with TDEE of 4,052kcal (typical for me while 350lbs):

* 4,052 (TDEE) - 2,900 (BMR) = 1152 (activity calories)
    * 2/3 of 1152 = 768
    * 2,030 (Healthy BMR) + 768 = 2,798 daily caloric intake.

For YOU, I wouldn't do quite the same (as your healthy-weight BMR is so very different from your current) I'd do something like this:

* Obese BMR (340lb): 2,160 kcal
    * @ 30% loss (238lb): 1,720 kcal

So on an average day with TDEE of 2,900kcal (estimated):

* 2,900 (TDEE) - 2,160 (BMR) = 740 (activity calories)
    * 2/3 of 740 = 494
    * 1,720 (30% loss BMR) + 494 = 2,214 daily caloric intake.

I'm very statistically inclined, so this kind of method works for me, but doesn't work for everyone. Basically, do your best to stay ABOVE your BMR but below your TDEE. If you stay above your BMR and eat ONLY a percentage back of your activity calories, you'll always be at a deficit, regardless of your energy output, and weight-loss should continue.
  • thinnenkamp
    Options
    bump
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You might try buying a ketone meter to test your blood levels. I have one and am re-committing today to getting into ketosis. I'm gonna cut dairy exept for butter for the week and stick to meats, fats and veggies only. I'm the queen of stalls and I'm also the queen of not giving up. My weight loss chart is laughable for all the ups and downs it has.

If it helps to know, a nutritionist told me years ago that when we lose weight, there is a point where a stall will occur. She said at that time, our body is trying to absorb the now un-needed blood vessels and connective tissue that it used to need when we were heavier. During that time our body is working really hard and it needs us to be consistent and patient. Loss will come again if we stay consistent.

Stay on course friend!