I give up!! start with a small cut from tomorrow...

SweetHarmony81
SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
I really tried to keep my reset a bit longer but I'm so hating my body right now that I can't take it any more! :frown: :cry: I feel SO big, my clothes don't fit, even t-shirts are tight on the arms and that messes up with my mind a lot! I became unsociable and miserable. I kept crying the last hour or so....I know I have to look at the long-term fix, but I can't right now :cry:

So, I'll start a cut from tomorrow. For the past couple of weeks I was eating at around 1850/2100 (rest/workout) so I'll try something like flat 1750cal/day (so pretty much not eating my workout calories) and hope that this small change will give me some results as I really don't want to go back to the low-cal diets I used to do!

My only concern is that I use to eat low-cal for years so I'm not sure if my body has adapted yet! But I can't wait longer! Really, I can't :cry: so my only hope is that this will work! Don't mind if it's slow, just need it to work!

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    I wish I had some words of wisdom... but I feel like I'm right there with ya! I'm struggling with a reset, trying to keep my eye on the long-term benefit... it's hard :(

Could the arms be a result of your weight lifting? That could be a good thing?

How long have you been resetting? And what were you averaging before the reset?
  • SweetHarmony81
    Well, I am strength training but I'm not new to it. I have been working with weights for a few years now, so I don't think it's from there. also, all my measurements have gone up my 0.5-1inch so it's not muscle either :frown: Back in December I was around 144lbs, now I'm about 154-155lbs

I have started increasing my intake last November from 1300-1400 flat to 1500/1800, then 1600/1900, then 1700/2000 and last couple of weeks I was trying to do 1850/2100 (that's all rest/workout calories). The biggest increase in weight I have noticed the last few weeks. I'm pretty sedentary, except my 3 days of lifting for 1h (last three weeks I have lifted 2x/wk). My TDEE if I use light active comes around 2050. My fitbit calculates it to around 2100, so it should be around there.

But I can't cope with this extra weight! I'm miserable right now :frown: Just really really hope the cut will work and that my body won't just adjust to that lower number! I'm not sure if I should go for 1600/1850 (rest/workout) or 1700-1750 flat, but as my BMR is around 1550, I think 1750 flat might be better for not getting to close to my BMR on my rest days. anyways...:cry:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    I am certainly no expert, and I have gone throught the same thing.

have you figured out what maintenance is for you? Maybe you should try eating at like 1900 for a week or two to see what happens to find maint. for a few weeks.....

Interested to see what others think. How tall are you??
  • SweetHarmony81
    I'm 5'6...

Not sure of what my maintenance is exactly as I have been cycling calories through that time (I generally like calorie cycling, so that I fuel up my workout days). But I would guess it is around 1900 to be honest. My weight has not changed much since last week, maybe 1lbs up or so. And I have two days at 2100 and another 5 at 1850.

To be honest, I really need to 'feel' a bit better about myself right now. For the past 10 days or so I'm not hungry at all and I force myself to eat just to hit my calorie goal. When I first increased cals, I remember I use to be very hungry and I was happy with that. I thought my metabolism was catching up. But now I go to bet super full and wake up and I'm not hungry at all. Then after a few hours I just force myself to have breakfast. So honestly, I need to get my appetite back ... I love food and I hate having to forcing it to go down!

I also though maybe I was overestimating my calories, but I don't think that's the case to be honest. I'm pretty sedentary, but I do train 3x/wk for 1h of heavy lifting! So should be about right... anyway, maybe I should have increased the calories much slower at first place, Don't know...but can't do back time now :huh:
  • SweetHarmony81
    By the way, thanks for the replies ladies! :smile:
    And sorry for being so negative, I'm just in a very bad mood right now :cry:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'd suggest you have great estimate of non-exercise calories then from FitBit - because it has no idea what your lifting is doing or means to estimate.
    MFP estimate of calories for lifting would be more accurate - it's low but that is correct.

The only caveat to the FitBit, is it uses Harris BMR as foundation to the math.

But Katch BMR is more accurate based on LBM and BF% estimate.

Do you know what those 2 are?

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

If within 50 then you are fine.

Since you like the eatback method for the lifting, you should set eating goal to FitBit avg TDEE with your 15% deficit, and then log your weight lifting and eat back the extra calories MFP gives you - minus same 15% deficit.

If metabolism isn't repaired totally, it just means it may take longer for body to not feel the stress and allow a deficit to take place.

But at the least in the meantime, if eating at maintenance, you'll be increasing LBM and perhaps some muscle slowly (not much since not a newbie) and losing BF%.

So track those measurements.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • SweetHarmony81
    The two formulas give me very similar BMR numbers, Harris BMR=1494, Katch BMR=1504

Well, in the past I didn't use to eat my exercise calories back, I was just cycling cals (higher on training days, lower on rest days). I'm just thinking of a flat 1750 (that's pretty much my estimated TDEE if I put sedentary in the activity level) and then not eat back my exercise calories, so that I don't drop too low on rest days. Then any deficit should come from the extra activity...

Well, to be honest, all this sounds very nice and clear for someone that has a perfectly running metabolism and wants to kick start weight loss. However, I'm not sure how all this will work in my case

we'll see...even if the weight loss is slow, i don't mind! My only fear is for my metabolism to happily adjust to 1750. But I'll have to figure out then what to do i guess...
  • heybales
    The two formulas give me very similar BMR numbers, Harris BMR=1494, Katch BMR=1504

Well, in the past I didn't use to eat my exercise calories back, I was just cycling cals (higher on training days, lower on rest days). I'm just thinking of a flat 1750 (that's pretty much my estimated TDEE if I put sedentary in the activity level) and then not eat back my exercise calories, so that I don't drop too low on rest days. Then any deficit should come from the extra activity...

Well, to be honest, all this sounds very nice and clear for someone that has a perfectly running metabolism and wants to kick start weight loss. However, I'm not sure how all this will work in my case

we'll see...even if the weight loss is slow, i don't mind! My only fear is for my metabolism to happily adjust to 1750. But I'll have to figure out then what to do i guess...

Good, so you have about avg LBM for someone your age, height, weight.
    And if you calorie cycled by eating more on lifting days - that is in essence eating back your exercise calories, right? Some level of them, you just don't know how much though.

Why are you estimating TDEE roughly by picking sedentary level when you have the FitBit values?
    1750 was not your TDEE though, was it?

Exercise as only deficit doesn't work well, because it's much easier to skip eating the same number of calories you may burn in 1 hr. And lifting doesn't burn much during the workout, though afterburn keeps it going.

Why would you want to risk metabolism lowering again and then deal with it. That means during that whole time of metabolism lowering, it's doing that because you are not getting enough to take care of basic functions. Which means you really aren't getting much of anything out of the workouts, because if there isn't enough calories to care for basic functions - forget repair work from lifting.

Slow is good, but because of conscious informed decision, not because you forced your body in to it by eating too little.

You have basically a non-exercise TDEE value already - the FitBit, which can't estimate lifting workouts. If you aren't sure about that, add up 5 typical non-exercise days of FitBit reported TDEE and get an avg and use that.

So take 15% off that avg you found. Make that your daily eating goal.
    Now log your lifting time into MFP and eat back those extra cal's minus same 15%.
  • SweetHarmony81
    So, if I use the data from fitbit I get an average of 2050 on non-lifting days so if I subtract 15% of that I end up with ~1750 on rest days.

On workout days my HRM usually says I burn ~500 cals. So I'll need to eat an extra 420 on workout days? That would be ~2150! That is too much though! In my case I mean...I have been eating 1850/2150 for the last couple of weeks and feel really bad, so just a 100cal decrease on rest days won't make a big difference!

I know I'm taking steps back here and probably haven't fully recovered, but I need to feel better, sorry :cry: I have gained too much and feel awful to even "think" about eating even more!

I know I'm being very negative at the moment and I'm really sorry. Just can't help me, been crying all day long :cry:
  • SweetHarmony81
    Don't know, maybe I just need to eat when hungry for a few days until my appetite catches-up. And re-adjust then :huh:

Right now I have a really upset tummy from all the food! And has been like that for almost 10 days now...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    I'm doing just about the same thing this month. I'm eating a level 1800 (+/-) and I've increased my workouts and am doing HIIT. Definitely not dropping my calories to my low point again, just not eating as much. My BMR is around 1600 because I'm 5'10". Trying this for a month to cut some, then I'll probably bump my calories back up. Good luck!
  • SweetHarmony81
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll try not to go too crazy with my workouts (I have this tendency!) but keep them consistent and add some more walking
  • heybales
    So, if I use the data from fitbit I get an average of 2050 on non-lifting days so if I subtract 15% of that I end up with ~1750 on rest days.

On workout days my HRM usually says I burn ~500 cals. So I'll need to eat an extra 420 on workout days? That would be ~2150! That is too much though! In my case I mean...I have been eating 1850/2150 for the last couple of weeks and feel really bad, so just a 100cal decrease on rest days won't make a big difference!

I know I'm taking steps back here and probably haven't fully recovered, but I need to feel better, sorry :cry: I have gained too much and feel awful to even "think" about eating even more!

I know I'm being very negative at the moment and I'm really sorry. Just can't help me, been crying all day long :cry:

You missed through teary eyes where I said you should use lifting calories from - MFP. It's small, and that's more correct. Probably get 250-300 calories only. 212-255 after 15% off.

HRM is invalid for anaerobic exercise, which your lifting hopefully is if done correctly. Also invalid for non-steady state meaning same HR for 2-5 min, which again, I hope no where in your lifting is the HR steady for that long.

This should help. Just keep an eye on avg non-lifting days TDEE in case you start exercising there with more walking. That will increase TDEE, which means 15% is bigger deficit, besides eating a tad more.
    But keep the lifting as a logging extra if you want to do this method.
  • SweetHarmony81

You missed through teary eyes where I said you should use lifting calories from - MFP. It's small, and that's more correct. Probably get 250-300 calories only. 212-255 after 15% off.

HRM is invalid for anaerobic exercise, which your lifting hopefully is if done correctly. Also invalid for non-steady state meaning same HR for 2-5 min, which again, I hope no where in your lifting is the HR steady for that long.

This should help. Just keep an eye on avg non-lifting days TDEE in case you start exercising there with more walking. That will increase TDEE, which means 15% is bigger deficit, besides eating a tad more.
    But keep the lifting as a logging extra if you want to do this method.

Ok, so I'll try 1750 daily with an extra 200+cal bump on my lifting days... I'll start like that and see how it goes
    Thanks for the feedback. I truly appreciate!
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Aaaahhhh iv just read all this .. Been out .... Blimey sorry you're having a hard time .... I'm only in second week of 1900-2000 cals.. Dunno if iv gained yet .. But sure I will and I know when I start to gain I will be the same as you ... I'm of that personality unfortunately :-(
    Good luck
    Xxx
  • SweetHarmony81
    Thank you!! I really hope you keep it till the end!

I was determined to do so as well, but I have been struggling so much with my social life, my big gain and loss of appetite that I had to give up unfortunately. I still did a significant increase though, so I hope this will be a bit of help!

Honestly, I still do believe in the em2wl concept. I think that's the only way to go for all of us that have been trying to loose on too low calorie diets. So I might try it again in the future, maybe giving it more time and making smaller steps