Article: Can T2 Diabetes be Reversed??

Options
jaygreen55
jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
Updated February 04, 2013
“Reversing” Type 2 Diabetes
Can It Be Done?
by David Spero, RN
Health professionals usually call Type 2 diabetes a chronic, progressive illness. “Chronic” means you’ll always have it. “Progressive” means you will almost certainly get worse. The best you can hope for is to slow its progression through your diet, exercise, and oral medicine or insulin.

The diagnosis of a chronic, progressive condition can feel like having a curse put on you. If you have to get worse, if you can’t avoid complications and premature death, then why struggle with your diet and managing your diabetes? In the words of Jenny Ruhl, a blogger with LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adults, sometimes called “Type 1.5” diabetes), “If there is nothing you can do, it is rational behavior to shift your energy elsewhere and enjoy life — including the foods you love — while you can.”

Although experts have called both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes “chronic” and “progressive” for decades, some people with diabetes disagree. A Diabetes Self-Management Blog reader named Dennis wrote, “Last November I weighed 288 [pounds] with an [HbA1c level] of 7.1%. Diabetic complications had set in. Today, with a very low-carbohydrate diet, my [HbA1c level] is 5.6%. I’ve lost 35 pounds, my sugars are under control, and all my symptoms are gone!” (The HbA1c test gives an indication of average blood glucose level over the past 2–3 months. The American Diabetes Association advises most people with diabetes to aim for an HbA1c level below 7% to prevent complications.)

On the same note, a reader named Bob wrote, “By limiting carbs, my [HbA1c level] dropped from an 8.6% to a most recent reading of 4.9%.” And Terri posted, “I am a diabetic who eats a low-carb vegan diet. I am far healthier now at 53 than ever before and maintain perfect glucose control.”

Reports like these are called “anecdotal evidence” and are usually discounted by scientists. But even some doctors who used to consider diabetes a death sentence are now saying that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed, even cured (more on what “cured” means later).

Link for the full article:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/general-diabetes-and-health-issues/reversing-type-2-diabetes/1/

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't believe diabetes can be cured but definitely controlled so you dont get worse. My Dr. told me as long as I keep my BS under control I should live as long (or longer) than a person who doesn't have diabetes.
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    test
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Reports like these are called “anecdotal evidence” and are usually discounted by scientists. But even some doctors who used to consider diabetes a death sentence are now saying that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed, even cured (more on what “cured” means later).

"Life is a death sentence"
    But I can be "healthy" when i get there or sick. I'm choosing to be healthy. the Jury is still out on whether I can halt the progress
    or I wind up on insulin. Hoping for the former, I'm preparing for the latter by saving my money for a donut binge...
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

"Life is a death sentence"
    But I can be "healthy" when i get there or sick. I'm choosing to be healthy. the Jury is still out on whether I can halt the progress
    or I wind up on insulin. Hoping for the former, I'm preparing for the latter by saving my money for a donut binge...

Tony...I like your "attitude"!!! :laugh:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The short answer is not at the moment. As has been pointed out on previous posts, ( See Kdipiaz's excellent post on the subject) anyone claiming to have reversed or "cured" diabetes should take a glucose intolerance test and then report the results of that test. The good news is that many people can achieve excellent levels of control, enabling them to live healthy and active lives. The MFP programme, if applied correctly, has proved to be a lifeline for so many, as can be demobstrated by many of the testimonials on this site.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am told the correct term is remission. You will never be perfectly cured and most likely will always be prone to be diabetic again if old ways are adopted for any length of time.

I am one of those with type Ii in remission. I initially went diabetic with my first pregnancy. Then before I was pregnant the second time, I was a full blown type II. I had to take insulin through the entire second pregnancy and by the end of it I was taking 8 viles of insulin in a month to keep things in control.

I have since lost 63 lbs, but around 30 something, my diabetes went fully into remission. My doctor confirmed this. I absolutely need no meds now. My last A1C was 5.3.

I do believe I could pass a glucose tolerance test. I haven't tried officially. But given some of the things I have ate, and not had my blood sugar go higher than 115 in a few months...I think I'd pass it.

I AM still sensitive to real orange juice. If a tolerance test was done with it, mehhh that is less certain. LOL
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    (This is a long post, so I'll apologize in advance - but it does contain valuable information that may actually help you or someone you know, so if you have the time, give it a read...)

Neither Type 1 nor Type 2 diabetes can be cured, but they can be controlled. (You can call it "reversed" if you want - just understand that once controlled/reversed you cannot go back to the old lifestyle without all symptoms manifesting again.)

The best methods of control for Type II diabetics are carbohydrate-restriction combined with exercise. If the subject is also overweight or obese, a caloric-deficit should also be undertaken to lose weight, especially visceral adipose tissue (bodyfat in/around the organs.)

One of the hallmarks of Type II diabetes is impaired insulin-sensitivity, aka insulin-resistance, and improving ones insulin-sensitivity will improve overall glycemic control.

Studies show the greatest improvements in insulin-sensitivity come primarily from weight-loss, especially loss of adipose (fat) tissue. Research suggest visceral adipose tissue (as mentioned previously) contributes more to insulin-resistance than subcutaneous adipose tissue - however since we can't 'target' fat-loss, getting to a healthy bodyfat percentage is important.

The second-most important activity to improve insulin-sensitivity is exercise, and although any exercise is good, recent studies have confirmed that HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is superior to other exercises for improving insulin-sensitivity - though the actual mechanisms of 'why' are unknown. Any exercise, though, is beneficial.

FYI eating a low-carb diet in-and-of itself doesn't actually improve insulin-sensitivity, the other changes do. Eating a low-carb diet does, however, reduce serum glucose levels which in-turn reduces serum insulin levels and gives your pancreas a bit of a rest.

All studies on very-low-carb diets for glycemic control confirm that the intervention of diet alone improves serum glucose levels almost as much as the introduction of insulin-therapy alone does. Combined they can make a dramatic difference.

Studies on very-low-carb ketogenic diets show even greater improvement, and there are a large number of insulin-dependent subjects that reduce or eliminate-completely their need for insulin when the diet is combined with an exercise program and weight-loss.

I'm anectodal evidence of this myself - and the current research is why I adopted a very-low-carb ketogenic diet. At diagnosis in December of 2010 my HbA1c was 12.2% and I was immediately told I should start basal and bolus insulin therapy. I researched on my own and instead opted to treat with diet and exercise first. Both my family physician and endocrinologist were pretty sure that with my 12.2% I would not reach a 'controlled' target, but they gave me three months.

In those three months I dropped my HbA1c to 7.0% exactly - even though I was still unable to exercise. A VLCKD (very-low-carb ketogenic diet) alone made that much difference. I started exercising 2 minutes a day (which very gradually increased) and dropped it to 6.0% another 3 months later.

Interestingly enough, a C-Peptide test taken after a brief carb-up period (to ensure the results were valid) shows I have reduced insulin production - likely due to impaired pancreatic beta-cell (β-cell) function, and there became some debate on whether I should be on a low-dose basal insulin to help further normalize my levels (as basal has considerably less hypoglycemic risk than bolus, I did consider it but ultimately kept working on lowering it further.)

A few months more later I'd dropped the remaining weight and have for over 18 months now had HbA1c's that range from 5.1 to 5.4% without any insulin therapy at all. I do still continue to take Metformin, but that's it.

The research is quite clear on this - Type II's can control/reverse this disease exceptionally well, even without insulin therapy, by using a very-low-carb ketogenic diet combined with regular exercise and weight loss.

There is also a role that a very-low-carb ketogenic diet can play for Type I diabetics as well, and that's two-fold:

1) Carbohydrate reduction makes estimating bolus insulin much easier, and gives considerably less risk of a hypoglycemic event, along with better and more-stable glycemic control, and;

2) We're seeing an increasing progression in the numbers of Type I diabetics presenting now with insulin-resistance - which previously was only a hallmark of Type II. The increase in insulin-resistance among Type I's is actually linearly consistent with the increase in refined sugar consumption in the western world. (Interestingly, the increase in Type II diabetes rates also follows the exact same linear progression.) As such, it is entirely possible that the reduction in refined sugars that occurs with adopting a very-low-carb ketogenic diet could prevent insulin-resistance in Type I diabetics. There is no definitive confirmation of this yet, but it's a very sound evidence-based hypothesis.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @albertabeefy -- Ok, a low carb, high fat diet (especially in conjunction with metformin) will help control your blood glucose. Awesome. But what about cholesterol? I'm also on Crestor to try to keep my cholesterol under control, and I'm worried that if I go with a high fat diet, I'll simply switch problems, from too blood glucose, to too high cholesterol, and still have problems? Or am I worrying needlessly? Please help and explain!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The second-most important activity to improve insulin-sensitivity is exercise, and although any exercise is good, recent studies have confirmed that HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is superior to other exercises for improving insulin-sensitivity - though the actual mechanisms of 'why' are unknown. Any exercise, though, is beneficial.-resistance in Type I diabetics. There is no definitive confirmation of this yet, but it's a very sound evidence-based hypothesis.
    I agree that exercise is important. I don't believe that HIIT is superior. Doctors routinely recommend that patients do some form of cardio, overlooking the benefits of strength/resistance training. Personally, I do strength training and walking. Strength training is particularly important to reduce muscle loss as a person ages.

From the Standards in Medical Care in Diabetes 2013:

"Progressive resistance exercise improves insulin sensitivity in older men with type 2 diabetes to the same or even a greater extent as aerobic exercise. Clinical trials have provided strong evidence for the A1C lowering value of resistance training in older adults with type 2 diabetes and for an additive benefit of combined aerobic and resistance exercise in adults with type 2 diabetes."

Source:
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_1/S11.full
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @albertabeefy -- Ok, a low carb, high fat diet (especially in conjunction with metformin) will help control your blood glucose. Awesome. But what about cholesterol? I'm also on Crestor to try to keep my cholesterol under control, and I'm worried that if I go with a high fat diet, I'll simply switch problems, from too blood glucose, to too high cholesterol, and still have problems? Or am I worrying needlessly? Please help and explain!
    A low-carb, high-fat diet has been shown to improve the lipid profile in the majority of test subjects in the majority of studies.

It both increases HDL, reduces LDL and often (in studies where a VAP test has been examined) improves the LDL-A to B ratio. (EVERY physician knows that the cholesterol ratio is a better measure than total cholesterol.)

Reducing carbohydrate is also shown to improve triglycerides dramatically, and we now know that carbohydrates are the cause of elevated triglycerides, NOT fat.

As such, the HDL-C to triglyceride ratio (one of the most important indicators of heart-health) is greatly improved.

Study after study, btw, shows dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on serum cholesterol, and there still is no solid evidence showing high cholesterol truly causes heart disease. http://anthonycolpo.com/the-cholesterol-theory-of-heart-disease-is-nonsense/ is a good read for those interested in an independent source of information.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it can be controlled and that is a good thing I have been doing the Newcastle Diet to give my poor old pancreas a rest, I eat mainly vegan food am master of the vegetarian kitchen and can create most of the dishes i would eat with meat for about 800 a day it's not easy. However, I cook all my soups, casseroles in advance on a sunday and put them in the freezer so that during the week I can come home from work and exercise for an hour, walk the dog, eat a hot dinner and still have time to read a book. I had no idea that planning normal meals took up so much time.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    A low-carb, high-fat diet has been shown to improve the lipid profile in the majority of test subjects in the majority of studies.

It both increases HDL, reduces LDL and often (in studies where a VAP test has been examined) improves the LDL-A to B ratio. (EVERY physician knows that the cholesterol ratio is a better measure than total cholesterol.)

Reducing carbohydrate is also shown to improve triglycerides dramatically, and we now know that carbohydrates are the cause of elevated triglycerides, NOT fat.

As such, the HDL-C to triglyceride ratio (one of the most important indicators of heart-health) is greatly improved.

Study after study, btw, shows dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on serum cholesterol, and there still is no solid evidence showing high cholesterol truly causes heart disease. http://anthonycolpo.com/the-cholesterol-theory-of-heart-disease-is-nonsense/ is a good read for those interested in an independent source of information.

albertabeefy is correct. Cholesterol is the bodies healing hormone, so when you first adopt a LCHF diet, your cholesterol is very likely to raise as your body begins to heal. Depending on how much abuse we have given our bodies, will depend on how long it takes to heal, but almost all followers of a LCHF diet will see their serum cholesterol levels return to a lower level.

I would like to address the issue of fat and cholesterol if I may. Since my own T2 diagnosis I have spent more hours than I care to admit researching all kinds of diet and nutrition. Since doing that my highest macro is fat, and generally saturated fat to boot, followed by protein, which is generally marbled meats, eggs, nuts and avocado with a few generous tablespoons of coconut oil. I do not take Statins, and my last HbA1c (I am in the UK) was 5.1mmol/l the one before that was 4.9mmol/l (I think you multiply my figures by 18 to get the US figures). I fry all my meat in lard too. If anyone is concerned about fat in the diet, may I suggest you look up the Western A Price foundation which is based in the USA. My research leads me to believe there is no connection between cholesterol and cardio vascular events, as we are lead to believe. A certain Mr Ancel Keys made the erroneous connection and then covered up the fact, the whole story is available on the WAPF website, amongst many others.

With colleagues I run a diabetes forum where we suggest to newly diagnosed diabetics that as they reduce their carbs, they must replace the lost calories, we suggest fat, as it is more satiating, and has no carbs, or very few.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it can be controlled and that is a good thing I have been doing the Newcastle Diet to give my poor old pancreas a rest, I eat mainly vegan food am master of the vegetarian kitchen and can create most of the dishes i would eat with meat for about 800 a day it's not easy. However, I cook all my soups, casseroles in advance on a sunday and put them in the freezer so that during the week I can come home from work and exercise for an hour, walk the dog, eat a hot dinner and still have time to read a book. I had no idea that planning normal meals took up so much time.

I was curious about the Newcastle Diet after reading your post. Sounds really challenging and I'll be eager to hear how you do and if it has the results that I read about.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I was curious about the Newcastle Diet after reading your post. Sounds really challenging and I'll be eager to hear how you do and if it has the results that I read about.

Forgive me butting in again, I did the Newcastle diet around this time last year. I did 4 weeks 3 shakes a day, then 4 week two shakes with a small meal. Over the eight weeks of the diet I lost 50 pounds in weight, I have kept that off, and defatted my liver. I have recently had liver and kidney checks and both are now normal. The diet is difficult for the first few days, hunger is an overriding feeling all of the time, but then it passes. I found it to be really quite easy. I tried IF, that was terrible. I did six weeks and with no real physical changes, I just felt hungry all of the time, fasting and non fasting days, and much preferred the Newcastle diet.

If I can help with any questions, or if you would like to see my ND diary, then do ask. I was on MFP when I did the ND so if you would like to see it, just friend me, and it is all recorded.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Neither Type 1 nor Type 2 diabetes can be cured, but they can be controlled. (You can call it "reversed" if you want - just understand that once controlled/reversed you cannot go back to the old lifestyle without all symptoms manifesting again.)

The best methods of control for Type II diabetics are carbohydrate-restriction combined with exercise. If the subject is also overweight or obese, a caloric-deficit should also be undertaken to lose weight, especially visceral adipose tissue (bodyfat in/around the organs.)
    Exactly.

Even with two consecutive tests in the 5% range, I do not consider myself to be, nor am I, cured. It is controlled.

I know if the old BigG appears with his bad boy drinking habits my T2 will not be controlled.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can contest it can be controlled. However as far as reversing, maybe some of the side effects can be, but this is likely only temporary.

I was diagnosed in mid December 2012 with an A1c of 7.2. My doctor didn't want to say I had diabetes until I waited a few weeks to have blood work done again and see what that showed. In the meantime, he told me to eat healthier and try to exercise and see what happens. (My cholesterol was also high at that stage as well as my Vitamin D being extremely low).
    So with diet alone and then starting exercise in January, this is what happened.
    December - A1c - 7.2%, Cholesterol - High, Weight: 181.
    January - A1c - 6.8%, Cholesterol - Slightly lower but still high, Weight: 174
    February - A1c - 6.0%, Cholesterol - Closer to normal, Weight: 168 - Was put on Metformin at this time
    March - A1c - 5.6%, Cholesterol - Normal - Weight 161 - Was taken off Metformin due to liver numbers being elevated out of nowhere.

So it can be controlled, but the symptoms never fully go away. For instance, my blood sugar averages 85-120 on a given day. But if I have a bad meal high in carbs, I can tell my sugar is high (130-170) and I get neuropathy in my feet and legs. It also happens if my carbs go over 165g a day or my sugar goes over 40g, so I try to keep a tight rein on it.

I've seen my mother go through diabetes complications since December and be in and out of the hospital a few times now with swelling in the legs, fluid in the lungs and a host of other issues. She is reliant on insulin and doesn't watch her diet as she is still addicted to soda. While I know complications are inevitable, I'm trying my best to just stay as healthy as possible for as long as I possibly can. If I can accomplish that, I'll be happy.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    good info here, ty