How much cheese?

Options
Jasmine_James
Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
Just curious about keto-er thoughts on cheese. Can you have too much of it? I have some really good days and some not-so-good days on the scale. I'm trying to figure out why some nights I lose 2-3 pounds while I sleep and others only 1 pound. I'm wondering if I am having too much cheese on some days.

So do you all try to limit your cheese intake or do you consider it an equally beneficial fat to other sources like coconut oil, avocado, meat/fish, etc.?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I limit it for 2 reasons.
    1) I'm not a huge cheese eater. It's more of a condiment than a food for me.
    2) For me, I try to hit 75-20-5 for my macros. Hard Cheese can be 25-30% protein. So too much cheese can prevent me from getting to my macros.

I think dairy in general is one area that can be a problem for people though.
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    Thank you, kiramaniac. That confirms my suspicions. I'll try to cut back on it a bit.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting this week with the only dairy intake I'll do is butter. We shall see...
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a recent stall in my weight loss (I usually lose a few lbs every 2 weeks or so but I haven't lost even a lb. for the past few weeks) but the only thing I can think of is that I've been eating more dairy (cheese and such.)

Soon as I've depleted my cheese supply I will be abstaining for it a bit. So, to answer your question...While I can't say exactly how much cheese (because everyone is different,) I can say that I will be limiting it here real soon.
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    I cut it out for several days and did get the scale moving again. I love cheese and I don't think I need to cut it out completely, but I'm going to limit it to one day a week.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm finding being dairy free (except for plenty of butter) and not eating cured meats has made a crazy difference, at least I think that's what it is. I'm seriously in ketosis, this AM I registered 5.1 on my blood meter, the highest it's ever been. I've been dairy free all week and think I'll stay off it for a while longer...I don't want to jinx this good progress... 9.3 lbs down since April 2, crazy! Especially since I've been stalled for a long long long time, like many months
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    Same here! A little bit of butter in my morning bulletproof coffee seems to be fine, but cutting out the cheese seems to have helped. I love it too much to cut it out completely, but I am trying to limit it to one or two days a week. I do have a little Greek yogurt here and there, but otherwise that's my only dairy.

Thanks again for all the advice -- it's really helped!