Step away from the kettlebell!

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
Hi everybody.

I've just seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQE3fmxmbk&feature=youtu.be

Please share on as many kettlebell communities as you can and let these guys know what you think!

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    To the instructor's credit, he had the right idea in that he seemed to understand the swing is a hip hinge movement and not a squat or an upper body exercise. The way he kept repeating himself on that point made me think he was trying to get her to stop squatting the weight down and pulling it back up with her arms. However, a really good kettlebell instructor would have made her stop and would not have let her continue until her form was correct.

I do suppose CrossFit is to blame for this idea of swinging the bell all the way overhead.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The video was a promotion for the gym. I would've taught her first, or they would've had to edit it down.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The Turkish Getup video is equally bad. She's using a weight that she can easily keep up above her head without locking out the arm...so if she eventually tries something over 10 lbs or whatever, yikes.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That "swing" is how they teach KB swings at the chain gym (Virgin Active, UK) I'm a member of! It's appalling. I've never seen the trainers at my gym teaching anyone a get up. Just those weird squat/swing things that often go overhead (???) and they also use the KBs for stuff like lunges, step ups, etc.

Their poor teaching/training isn't confined to KBs, either. They all teach barbell deadlifts and squats wrong, too....it's criminal, really. People deadlifting with their backs rounded and not even squatting to parallel....yikes.

:noway:
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    CrossFit is responsible for that ridiculous overhead swing. I hate it.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    That overhead swinging squat thing is very strange--the guys that do it at my gym are all doing it with like 8-12 kg KBs, and they do it in this really slow and deliberate manner. Imagine CrossFit on cough syrup or something....

I see them watching me, and I wonder if they think I'm the confused one? :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    That overhead swinging squat thing is very strange--the guys that do it at my gym are all doing it with like 8-12 kg KBs, and they do it in this really slow and deliberate manner. Imagine CrossFit on cough syrup or something....

I see them watching me, and I wonder if they think I'm the confused one? :laugh:

Things like that are why I need to make sure I get in great shape, so that people will actually listen to me.

The trouble is, most people in the city appear to be cheating...
  • ItsCasey
    Options

YES. I see these really fit-looking people who can pull a lot of weight off the floor and do tons of pullups then go over and grab tiny kettlebells and "swing" them really slowly, just like you said, like they're in an '80s Jane Fonda-style video. It cracks me up because if they'd learn how to do it properly they could go way heavier. I don't even think they understand the purpose of kettlebell swings. How can you understand deadlifts but not swings?
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like the "front squat" video, where she is nearly bent fully at the waist before finally dropping her butt slightly. I laughed when they mentioned that squat position was similar to the position you are in while skiing. Thanks for the comedy link.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    I had not yet watched the other videos. A front squat is "really, really similar" to a deadlift? WOW!

And that TGU ... yikes. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for actual kettlebell trainers.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Well make sure you slate them. I seem to be the only one ticking the dislike button.
  • Lupercalia
    Options

YES. I see these really fit-looking people who can pull a lot of weight off the floor and do tons of pullups then go over and grab tiny kettlebells and "swing" them really slowly, just like you said, like they're in an '80s Jane Fonda-style video. It cracks me up because if they'd learn how to do it properly they could go way heavier. I don't even think they understand the purpose of kettlebell swings. How can you understand deadlifts but not swings?

Yep, I will see guys upstairs dead lifting far more than I do, then run into them again downstairs, with the kettlebells, and they are using a 12kg bell, tops, and doing something totally bizarre with it. It sure looks funny--they must feel pretty awkward doing those weird slow-mo swings.

They seem to have no clue that there is any sort of hip thrust involved in swings. Today I saw some trainer teaching a woman to swing in a manner that was a little closer to an actual swing, but NOT QUITE, lol! He was telling her to push her hips forward (but it still wasn't a hip thrust), which is different from what seems to be the standard way of teaching in my gym, but he was also telling her to lift the bell with her arms! I was watching and facepalming...and she couldn't do the two hand swing, so of course he decides to move right along to teaching her one hand swings....FFS! :noway:

All those non hip thrusting, squatting fools need to watch this video, as it clearly shows the difference between what they do and what a swing is supposed to look like: http://youtu.be/wL7Cd0zY0f0
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    Well make sure you slate them. I seem to be the only one ticking the dislike button.

I left comments and "disliked" them.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    I saw another video on there where the woman demonstrating swings appeared to be in excellent shape, so I thought MAYBE she knew what she was doing ... nope. She was doing the same squatting "swing" as everyone else, with a hip thrust thrown in well after the fact for good measure. It's clear they don't understand that the hip thrust is what is supposed to be propelling the bell upward, not the arms. It really does no good to thrust your hips forward AFTER you've pulled the bell up above your waist.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    I saw another video on there where the woman demonstrating swings appeared to be in excellent shape, so I thought MAYBE she knew what she was doing ... nope. She was doing the same squatting "swing" as everyone else, with a hip thrust thrown in well after the fact for good measure. It's clear they don't understand that the hip thrust is what is supposed to be propelling the bell upward, not the arms. It really does no good to thrust your hips forward AFTER you've pulled the bell up above your waist.

You know, Jillian Michaels does the squatting swing....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: