Percentage for Fat

Options
Lisa_Rhodes
Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
Hello all!

I'm new to the Keto way... been doing low carb (well, lower than usual) and wanted to try Keto. I noticed it's heavier on the fat side, so I was wondering what percentage for my daily intake would be good? I changed it recently to 60%,

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hi - there is a great FAQ over at reddit for keto - http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    it's a great document to review as you get started.

tankard keto is 60-35-5; Personally, I see better results and try to have a minimum of 75% fat.

This keto calculator can also help you get started.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The standard medical protocol for ketosis is minimum 65% fat along with 30% protein, 5% carbohydrate.

That being said some people find lowering protein to 25% and increasing fat to 70% is required.

Ketosis is a binary state - meaning you're either in it, or you're not. If 65/30/5 doesn't get (and keep) you ketogenic, 70/25/5 may be what you need.

(For myself I go 70/25/5 when dieting and in maintenance and 65/30/5 when I'm mass-building; and yes, I count/weigh almost every gram of everything.)
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and the link :-)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have my settings at 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs (net carbs are 5%, but the red numbers under carbs freak me out for some reason so I have to set it for 10%). I get closer to 65, 30, 5 most days though. Ideally, I do better the higher my fat. My ideal ratio is 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carb. That's killer for me, but I struggle getting in that much fat. lol If I ate more whale and seal fat (local food) I'd be doing much better!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have my settings at 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs (net carbs are 5%, but the red numbers under carbs freak me out for some reason so I have to set it for 10%). I get closer to 65, 30, 5 most days though. Ideally, I do better the higher my fat. My ideal ratio is 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carb. That's killer for me, but I struggle getting in that much fat. lol If I ate more whale and seal fat (local food) I'd be doing much better!
    What's interesting is a recent study took place on inuit in north-eastern Quebec, and found that those that ate a "more-traditional" diet (usually the older generation as y'all do have Doritos too-readily available now) were much healthier in respect to CVD, cancer, and several other diseases than those eating something that more closely resembles the Canada Food Guide.

I found it interesting anyway. But I actually like reading studies.