Can't increase weights?

Options
Daresie
Daresie Posts: 41 Member
I have been doing NROL4W for a few weeks now.... I have made some good progress, but now I seem to be running into a wall with my dumbell lifts. Today was workout 5, so should have been 3 sets of 10. Last 2 timesI had done 10 pounds in each arm. So today I bumped to 12.5. As soon as I lifted my arms, I knew I was in trouble. I managed to do 9, 8, and 8 but on each set the last couple of reps had sloppy form. They felt SO much heavier than the 10 pounds!!

So my question is: should I go back to the 10#ers doing 3 sets, or just continue with the heavier weights knowing I can't do the full 10 reps.

My left arm is noticiably weaker than my right - I could probably finish with my right. Should I do something extra to work the left side more?

Appreciate some advice from experienced lifters!!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    So you were able to complete 6 or 7 reps with good form using the 12.5 lbs. I suggest dropping back to the 10 pounders so you can complete all reps with good form. Never sacrifice form or you could risk injury.

Increase the weight when the number of reps drop. Keep lifting honey!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When I get in that position...and it happens more with the heavier weights in 5 pound increments...I increase the reps so I get more work done and can hopefully increase the next time. If you can do 8 with good form, go up in weight.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You can do two things: Use the heavier weights and do fewer reps, or go back to the lighter weights and do more reps. Either one is okay if you are at near-failure when you finish your sets.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have generally started with the weight I know I can complete, then increase by 2.5, then increase on the 3rd set by another 2.5. If you can't finish the 3rd set, there's nothing wrong with that. You are supposed to be working hard. I don't suggest going back down in weight unless you can't lift any in the 3rd set or you can't keep form at all.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to have SOME weight-training days when you just cannot bang out the weight that you thought you could! So, I wouldn't worry about this particular work-out, at all. Probably just a fluke.

Give the heaviest weights that you can one more try at your next work-out. If you poop out, again, before completing all reps, drop the weights back and re-build from there.