Having trouble with push-ups

Steffani911
Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
I am done with weeks 3 & 4 and ready to move on to 5 & 6. I feel very strong with everything thus far with the exception of push-ups. I still can't manage to do more than 3 regular push-ups. I would just like to hear others thoughts on how to deal with this one. I have never really had upper body strength. I have injuries to both of my wrists but they don't seem to bother me. I just cannot get myself pushed back up after just 3 regular push-ups. I can plank like a mother ... but can't do push-ups. I thought others opinions especially those who have done more weeks would be valuable. TIA

Replies

• Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    How are you with the modified push-ups? If you stick with those and do as many as you can in each set, you might find yourself getting a better workout than just the 3 regular ones.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    I agree with Thereupon--do modified pushups and do all of the reps until that feels fairly easy. In my experience, that will take a while, at least several weeks. When you feel able, do a few regular ones at the beginning of the set, then go to your knees. As you get stronger, keep adding an extra regular one to your reps until you can do them all from your toes. When I started last August, I could only do them from the knees, and now have no problem doing all militaries. It took about 2 months, but I got there and so will you! As you lose weight, that also will make it easier. :-)
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    I agree with the answers that you got. You will get stronger!
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    I struggle a bit with push-ups and I'm at the end of week 8. Every time, I try to get in one or two more regular before going to the knees. I am definitely stronger than when I started. Now I'm doing Crow and raised leg push ups and never could do those before. You will get stronger, just do as many as you can, force yourself to try an extra 1 or 2 each time and see yourself improving! You can do it.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm on week 12 and STILL have trouble with push ups. It really bummed me out around Phase 2, but then I just accepted it and modified when I had to. I just make sure to push myself to the max of what I can really do. A lot of times I don't do those fancy push ups, and just stick to regular ones...very slowly and shakily...LOL
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    I struggle a bit with push-ups and I'm at the end of week 8. Every time, I try to get in one or two more regular before going to the knees. I am definitely stronger than when I started. Now I'm doing Crow and raised leg push ups and never could do those before. You will get stronger, just do as many as you can, force yourself to try an extra 1 or 2 each time and see yourself improving! You can do it.

I agree with zeppyb. Start out doing the regular ones and drop to your knees when you need to and finish out the count with the modified ones. If you can do 3 regular, try as hard as you can to get in that 4th one. If you can't get back up, drop to your knees. You will get stronger but it takes time and pushing your body so it can meet the challenge.
  • Steffani911
    Thank you everyone for the responses. Seems as though I'm the norm. I have just gotten so much stronger in ever capacity except for the push-ups. I am pushing myself though!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    i had the same problems. someone suggested doing push ups on stairs and working yourself down to ground level, but for me i just kept at it and did modified pushups until i felt they were too easy then FORCED myself to try normal push ups until one day i got one in! yay lol. also what helped me was spreading my arms out a little wider, i still cant do really narrow push ups, its hard on my elbows and wrists.
  • Steffani911
    So I just wanted to share with you all that after 5 weeks of only being able to do 2 push ups maybe 3, I can do 10. Suddenly too. It's crazy how I just kept pushing doing the 2 - 3 that I could and then going to my knees and then yesterday I just kept going. I know 10 isn't a lot to many, but this is my nsv. :)
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    So I just wanted to share with you all that after 5 weeks of only being able to do 2 push ups maybe 3, I can do 10. Suddenly too. It's crazy how I just kept pushing doing the 2 - 3 that I could and then going to my knees and then yesterday I just kept going. I know 10 isn't a lot to many, but this is my nsv. :)

Isn't it AMAZING how that happens!!! I did that with soooo many things, but most recently crab kicks - they were a killer for me!

CONGRATULATIONS by the way!
  • Steffani911

Isn't it AMAZING how that happens!!! I did that with soooo many things, but most recently crab kicks - they were a killer for me!

CONGRATULATIONS by the way!

The crab move still kills me. I can't even do one. My arms lock into a cramp, but I keep butt on the ground and try to do like pushups with my tri's not using tummy muscles to lift up. I am getting stronger. So happy to hear the crab is paying off for you. Gives me hope. lol
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    its amazing how all of the sudden one day your muscles just decide they are going to do everything! when i saw the reverse plank for the first time yesterday i went HA yeah right!!!! and then all of the suddent i finished it - couldn't move for a minute afterwards but finished it...

can't wait to hear what you are able to crank out a month from now!!!!